Why does fallout fo4 crash on startup

Gomperthemodder

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm late to the party here but I'll just give some general troubleshooting advice.   May it serve you well in the future.

1)  Resist by all means necessary to make a ton of changes once you have a problem.   It makes it nearly impossible to find the cause of the problem - which existed BEFORE you started making changes.... 

2)  When you install and configure a game with a mod manager and it's working - back the whole thing up.   Lock, stock and barrel.    This way you have a place you can return to where you know everything was working properly.    Personally, whenever I install any game I make a complete backup - storage is dirt cheap - time trying to fix a problem you don't know where it's originating from is expensive - very expensive.

3)  Resist by all means possible to make changes/add things to an existing save.    Let that game play itself out, add any new bells and whistles you might want to add to your next play through (after you test them first).

Edited by fraquar

4 minutes ago, fraquar said:

- time trying to fix a problem you don't know where it's originating from is expensive - very expensive.

i haven't made any more changes to my problem since the last solution i found

never found advice on the backup files

and i dont get what you mean for the 3rd advice

but this is very helpful

I also wonder if there are people who have backups and can send them to people, or would sending backups or copies of backups be considered pirating? 

I am starting to think its over for my character and that ill need to resart and go for the nuclear option if i cant find a fix soon

Edited by Gomperthemodder

If you have followed any of the "blind" advice in this forum, you have made changes.    At least from what I've read.

"Blind" meaning they don't have your system in front of them they can troubleshoot with - they are going on only the information (however limited) you can give them.

That is the point I'm trying to make.   Without specifics people will offer "advices" (and you are essentially soliciting them in hope of a quick fix) and if those "advices" mean making changes you are further away from finding the root cause of the problem.

You are not f'ed form making a new profile and copying your save game over and experimenting with that.

This prevents the exact exact issue the gentleman was referring to.

While I do not know what your issue, is what I gave you is trouble Fallout 4 trouble shooting 101: Make a new profile with copied savegame file. Remove mods until it works. Now some mods are difficult to remove fully.

This method solves 3/4s of all issues.

But we still dont really know what the issue was.

If you are not attached to your character you can delete all savegames and then reinstall.

Uninstall and then reinstalling without going into the savegame folders and deleteting "by hand" means the savegames are still there.

The most effectgive and fastest  would is to have one of us "old hands" remote to your computer but even that might take hours but that is a security risk and not something one should do ever unless with folks perosnally known to you.

I spent full days doing nothing but trouble shooting the game in the past, its no fun and no one who is not paid would spend that much for you remotely.

If you want to renagge, plublish all your system specs take screenshots of ever problem screen (it sounds like you advabnced from game not starting up at all to at least the load screen yes?)

Disable all mods in Vortez and does it still keep form starting up?

If the answer is yes, the issue likely is not the mods.

I also sent a message to "HeyYou" he has been helpful on here to members in the past. Hopefully he will chime in.