Gaming mice - thoughts?

zixi

I've used an ordinary mouse since forever. The current one is just a very inexpensive optical mouse. I'm just curious about how many people use a gaming mouse and what the advantages are.

Go on, tell us about your mouse! 😀

I used a Roccat Kone Air Pro mouse for awhile, and liked its sensitivity, the optical mouse buttons, and variety of adjustments in the settings, but I have pretty small hands, and I couldn't manipulate it well vertically on my tabletop w/a claw grip, it would 'bottom out' on the heel of my hand when trying to pull it to the bottom of the screen.  It is almost 1 inch longer (~2 cm) than my current and previous mouse, the Logitech Anywhere 2x/3x.  All of the other gaming mice I saw at the time were of similar length.

I just use a corsair optical mouse. Four button. The software finally caught up with the times, and it doesn't crash my computer any more. 😄 But, I can set sensitivity for movement, and various other things. Basically, its just a slightly better 'generic' mouse. Works fine for me.

That's interesting, both of you. I thought about a new mouse to go with my new PC but couldn't decide if a gaming mouse would be better. I think I've struggled with that question since gaming mice first became available. I use a cheap Logitech optical mouse BTW - I should have said that! I don't like mice to be too big and heavy as I struggle to use them then, 

Well, I think that my Logitech Anywhere 3x is about as small as you will find, I suspect that the main mouse buttons on the top will end up being unreliable in the not too distant future.  I have not had much luck with button durability with Logitech mice.

17 hours ago, 7531Leonidas said:

Logitech Anywhere 3x

Is that wireless? I don't know but I have to say that as much as I hate cables (do you remember Douglas Adams talking about cables and what he would do to them? I feel like that!) I still prefer to have keyboard and mouse wired into the back of the PC... 

I haven't taken much notice of how long the mice last... They've tended to just fail. It's often scrolling wheel that fails first.

25 minutes ago, zixi said:

Is that wireless? I don't know but I have to say that as much as I hate cables (do you remember Douglas Adams talking about cables and what he would do to them? I feel like that!) I still prefer to have keyboard and mouse wired into the back of the PC... 

I haven't taken much notice of how long the mice last... They've tended to just fail. It's often scrolling wheel that fails first.

I had a wireless mouse/keyboard at one point, but, the mouse had a healthy appetite for batteries.... keyboard lasted longer, but, it would tend to crap out when I was actually playing a game.... about the fourth it happened, and got me killed.... I went back to corded mouse/keyboard. 😄

For me, the left mouse button fails first. It either stops working altogether, or, gives me a double-click when I click once.... that gets annoying fast. :D

2 hours ago, HeyYou said:

and got me killed.... I went back to corded mouse/keyboard

Yes... I just know that would happen to me and I'd be fed up about it! 

2 hours ago, HeyYou said:

or, gives me a double-click when I click once

I don't know how Windows deals with this now but Ubuntu (or at least Mantic Minotaur and Gnome) have this test area where you can scroll and click. It's absolutely fascinating but I'm not convinced it's helped me set up my mouse any better... It is like some strange, pointless (forgive the pun) game whose rules are obscure (and there's no lore).

@zixi - yes, the 'Anywhere' series is wireless, the battery lasts for 3-5 DAYS (even when I am on Skyrim 10+ hours in a session), and a quick check in the Logitech app will show the charge level b4 you start gaming not sure about whether the 'low battery' notice works while in Skyrim.  Took about 30 minutes to charge from 20% to full.  I just have a usb port plugged in to a power strip, and plug in as neccesary.  Also, you can run that mouse as a wired mouse, but to me, the cable is a bit too stiff, and too short, which causes problems in my somewhat congested play area.  I currently use a Razer Huntsman Elite wired kb, has full NumPad, and about 80% size keys.  BTW - you do not have to have the Logitech app running in the background when playing.

I am seriously impressed that you don't run out of battery! I just know I would... I've just noticed that my pedometer battery has died and I usually manage to check that reasonably often... I'd be hopeless with a wireless mouse. I just know it! 

BTW  I really like how the Razer stuff looks - I was going to buy some of their headphones... I do have one of their mousemats at the moment though! It's absolutely the largest mousemat I've ever had🙂 .

How do you get on with the smaller keyboard? Mine is full size and very chunky! 😁