Wrye Bash has a Virus?

BlueSteelRanger

Salutations!

So, I have a rather weird (and infuriating) issue. As always, Mod Gods, if I'm in the wrong place, let me know.

I updated Wrye Bash to its latest iteration (v. 312, according to GitHub). Except now, my antivirus program (Webroot SecureAnywhere) thinks it's a virus and will literally block me from using Wrye Bash at all. I've had to reinstall the bloody thing a dozen times, with a 1-in-8 success rate to even get to the point of running Wrye Bash at all.

The blazes is going on here?

The Anti Virus you use should have a bypass or ignore feature built in that you can use to allow any program to install or run. Try looking for it somewhere within the program. From a quick search online, their services aren't highly regarded in threat protection. I haven't heard of them myself. There are many alternatives you can look at if you cannot find a solution to your issue through your current AV. You don't have to stop using it. But find that bypass.

If you need recommendations for others, I currently use Malwarebytes and Avast (NOT Avast One. For the sake of your sanity. Regular Avast.) AVG is a little bloaty the last time I used it (like 2018?) but I've never had a problem with it either.
I know these have options to disable protection for certain files and programs within its settings. They've served me well. All of them free.

Your antivirus should have some way to flag a program as safe. Found these.

How do I allow a program through Webroot?

To change settings for active connections:
  1. Open the Webroot main interface.
  2. Click PC Security.
  3. Click the Firewall tab.
  4. At the bottom of the panel, click View Network Applications. > The Network Applications dialog opens.
  5. Click on a radio button to allow or block a process or port address.

How do I create an exception in Webroot?

Adding Exception or Exclusion to Webroot SecureAnywhere
  1. Open Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus and click on the “Settings” icon (1) at the upper right portion.
  2. Select the “Block/Allow Files” tab (2) and click on the “Add File” button (3)
  3. Browse and select the TMJ Software Program (4) and click open (5).

First, my apologies for the late-ish reply.

Second: Thanks, y'all! For the present, as I'm navigating things, I was able to revert back down to Wrye Bash v.311, which is working perfectly.

And yes, Webroot is bloody good. Almost TOO good, haha! But ultimately, when considering all options, I'd rather deal with something like this than have a weak shield and something genuinely serious happen. I'm going to keep this for reference, and if anyone else has a similar issue as mine, hey. 🙂 Nexus got answers.