Connect All Underground Interior Cells Into One Single Worldspace

Qrsr

What would happen and what would be problematic when doing so?

Im thinking of adding, merging, exisitng subway mods, tunnel mods, sewer mods, etc. all of which are open to edit of course then reedit and combine to my own logic. When done, create a new worldspace which is technically just one big underground map which ensembles in logic to the upper world, the commonwealth itself.

The Creation Kit is showing me by default, the "Interior" worldspace. Now I would like to create a new worlspace which is equal to the commonwealth its just one big space of all the underground cells of interest.

I never saw something like that by BGS, Morrowing had separat interior cells, Oblivion, Skyrim, FO3, FO4, Starfield also ... im just asking myself why?

Im also unsure if this would get rid of the Navmesh issues such as Shared Interior Cell Navcutting ...

Any ideas?

Edited by Qrsr

Native code wouldn't be able to handle the load it would take to process everything in such large area at once. The game world must be split into different Cells. It could be called as "engine limitation" but I'd call it "vanilla game design". It's how the Creation Engine works. Either way, this cannot be changed without editing the game at the engine level which seems rather impossible as it's closed source. Even BGS didn't do this in Starfield which I think would've greatly benefited from it.

Edited by LarannKiar

Hm is it really impossible? What if i would create an exterior world space, i mean flagged exterior but which would be an interior world space?

• 2 weeks later...

Interior & exterior is divided into cells. The difference is that an interior cell doesn't have a fixed size (but is still limited) & exterior cells are loaded in a pattern around the active cell, to make the 'horizon' visible & the transition look smooth. (at which point some cells are unloaded and new, distant, ones loaded.) How many cells are loaded depends on the corresponding setting.

So, no matter what 'space' you use, you need to cut it into cells. For 'interior' cells you need to use "load doors" (which can be invisible) to switch between cells.

Within the cell you can use room bounds to divide it into smaller pieces. With 'portals' to look and/or move into the next 'room'.

If at all possible to create one big 'worldspace' (interior or exterior), don't you think they would have done it, instead of not doing that for all 6 games you mentioned sharing the same (creation) engine?

If at all possible to create one big 'worldspace' (interior or exterior), don't you think they would have done it, instead of not doing that for all 6 games you mentioned sharing the same (creation) engine?

Considering that many interior cells have nothing todo with the exterior design, i expect everything ...

Theoretically you could create an "exterior" worldspace, with a number of cells equal to the game / commonwealth,  and use it as your "interior" / underground world.

This would make it all an extreme challenge though. Creating all sorts of problems the interior cell approach simply avoids. (& there is no way you can just 'merge' any mod into that world)

A huge waste of space & resources, imho. Bringing almost nothing. (a few less load screens while moving around)

probably

sticking with the LOD map as reference when modifying and moving interior objects to the correct LOD coordinates would be superior though

There is also the factor that several underground spaces may well intersect or be so close they interfere with each other. The tunnel sections for Diamond City Outskirts (AKA The Hole) theoretically fit alongside the space allocated for Symphony Station in The Machine and Her like two adjacent jigsaw puzzle pieces but I can tell you from experience that trying to TCL from the one to the other will crash your game.

you can modify the game and mods so there are options to merge mods. its not problem to create an entire interior "worldmap" into single cell which then uses uGrid standard.