Morrowind Crashes PC Completely PLEASE HELP

SweetBabyAdam

I have tried countless times to play this game and every time the same thing happens. I get to various points within the opening house and the game crashes my pc completely, and I have to turn it off.

The Mods I have installed are; MGE EX, UI Expansion, Better Bodies 3.2 (Better Beasts), Better Dialogue Font, Official Plugins, Patch for Purists, MSE, MCP Skunk works, And MCP. I also have Better Sign posts but disabled it because it was causing problems.

I don't know if anyone uses this forum but any help is appreciated.

Edited by SweetBabyAdam

Play in the Offline mode.

I don't even start Steam.

Steam can be running, but just don't start it from Steam in your Steam library.

Go to your My PC.  C:\Drive or where your game folders in the Steam Library are stored. 

Steamapps/Common/ click on Morrowind.  Open the folder.  Find the Morrowind Launcher exe  Launch from there. 

A window popup should appear which you can see Data.  Click on Data.  Your mods selections should appear in the next window.  Make sure your mods are all shown as checked, tick any that aren't that you use.  After all have been selected run Morrowind from the launcher popup.

Doing it that way always solved mystart up problems.  

Morrowind default settings are a must too.

Until you have the game settings tested so you know what ones will work; I always managed to get it playing by leaving the Default settings for the monitor Resolution On.

3 hours ago, Pagafyr said:

Play in the Offline mode.

I don't even start Steam.

Steam can be running, but just don't start it from Steam in your Steam library.

Go to your My PC.  C:\Drive or where your game folders in the Steam Library are stored. 

Steamapps/Common/ click on Morrowind.  Open the folder.  Find the Morrowind Launcher exe  Launch from there. 

A window popup should appear which you can see Data.  Click on Data.  Your mods selections should appear in the next window.  Make sure your mods are all shown as checked, tick any that aren't that you use.  After all have been selected run Morrowind from the launcher popup.

Doing it that way always solved mystart up problems.  

Morrowind default settings are a must too.

Until you have the game settings tested so you know what ones will work; I always managed to get it playing by leaving the Default settings for the monitor Resolution On.

3 hours ago, Pagafyr said:

It usually starts just fine until I get to a certain point in the census office then my PC crashes and I have to power down. But I will try this. I haven't even seen the outside of the town ever lol.

don't forget to update MWSE using "MWSE-Update.exe"

and concerning MCP, it seems like i never downloaded a beta version, even though i remember using it at some point... so no idea if this is and nexus error or brain error.... but since the latest beta is from 2021 and the latest stable from 2023 i would skip it and try without.

1 hour ago, FIMzzZzz said:

don't forget to update MWSE using "MWSE-Update.exe"

and concerning MCP, it seems like i never downloaded a beta version, even though i remember using it at some point... so no idea if this is and nexus error or brain error.... but since the latest beta is from 2021 and the latest stable from 2023 i would skip it and try without.

I think I might start over and not download skunk works or MWSE. I found that MGE EX has MWSE built in, is that true?

Have you tried running MW without any mods at all? I'm guessing you're on Windows and I haven't used Windows for years but a crash that causes shutdown wasn't something I experienced that often. It was usually CTD... I think I'd want a stable game to convince myself that the actual game install was OK first...

When you find the problem, it's always nice to know what caused it so that someone else might be spared the 'pain'... 😉

6 minutes ago, zixi said:

Have you tried running MW without any mods at all? I'm guessing you're on Windows and I haven't used Windows for years but a crash that causes shutdown wasn't something I experienced that often. It was usually CTD... I think I'd want a stable game to convince myself that the actual game install was OK first...

When you find the problem, it's always nice to know what caused it so that someone else might be spared the 'pain'... 😉

Tried without mods, and it still crashed PC. I am going to reinstall and test it out.

12 minutes ago, SweetBabyAdam said:

Tried without mods, and it still crashed PC

Hmmm. That's interesting.