Morrowind Crashes PC Completely PLEASE HELP

SweetBabyAdam

I think I'd rather see what a fresh reinstall does first. And rule out a problem with Steam...  It's cheaper.  🙂

1 hour ago, FIMzzZzz said:

other games crash too? integrated graphics? cpu/gpu temps ok? starting to look like a non MW issue to me...

The only other game that has ever done this was sim city 4. but even then it doesnt happen as frequently.

1 hour ago, zixi said:

I think I'd rather see what a fresh reinstall does first. And rule out a problem with Steam...  It's cheaper.  🙂

I now know at least its not mods but something with morrowind itself, as after reinstalling fresh it still crashes. I really don't know what to do here lol

Did you install the patch that gives Morrowind a boost from 2GB to 4GBs?

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind_Mod:4GB_Patch

If you know about the Paging File, heres a tip. And Do This First before setting your Custom settings.

Learn how to clear it so when you run your computer again it will be a clean and fresh page.  Paging File is supposed to get refreshed by sending the Paging Files Data it collects to Microsoft for improving our computers with update.   It doesn't do as good a clearing as expected and can get BLOATED.  If it has been a long time that you used your computer the Paging File can be huge.

Which can slow your computer load times down a lot.  Even loading the window opening window when you boot up first thing after restarting it.

Clear your Paging File, by clicking on No Paging File.  Follow the instructions and restart your computer.

Then open the app again after restarting.  Uncheck Windows option, check Custom, and change your settings in minimum and maximum in the custom settings.  That will give your computer a good clean Paging File.  Then change to Custom to better settings for PLAYING VIDEO games that use the Virtual RAM for Swapping Files.

I noted that one reason that the game sometimes crashes is that the Virtual RAM in and allotted Megabytes for the Paging file is set by System Properties to minimum.  And Morrowinds standard settings only has allotted 2GB for it to use.

We canchange to Custom (settings) to add 3 times the minimum amount of our computers RAM.  Put the 3 x in minimum and as much as 4 x the minimum in the Maximum amount so the computer can swap more chunks of larger files more easily to Virtual RAM.  

Otherwise our Windows PC is run automatically by Windows. I opened System Properties/Advanced/Performance/Advanced. 

I opened Advanced.  I found the way to set Custom settings for the Paging file.  I saw the settings Windows uses.  The minimum amount of 16 MB of RAM.   I learned to multiply the amount shown as available by 3 x 2931 = 8793 the minimum amount since I have 16 GB.  I multiplied 2931 by 4 and put the sum in Maximum 11724 .  Clicked Apply.  Click OK and close the app window.

An old computer will thank you and a new one will perform a bit better too.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/108564-add-processor-performance-increase-threshold-windows-power-options.html

After trying all suggestions, and testing my Morrowind steam copy on another PC, I now know it is a problem with my PC and NOT Morrowind. Awhile ago I had installed the Morrowind CD and along the way messed up something and got a "catastrophic failure" message when trying to uninstall it. And whatever I did back then is still affecting Morrowind today.

2 hours ago, SweetBabyAdam said:

After trying all suggestions, and testing my Morrowind steam copy on another PC, I now know it is a problem with my PC and NOT Morrowind. Awhile ago I had installed the Morrowind CD and along the way messed up something and got a "catastrophic failure" message when trying to uninstall it. And whatever I did back then is still affecting Morrowind today.

Have you tried setting up the game using the compability test so it sets it up with the earlier version of Windows like Windows XP, Windows 64, or 8.

I so hope you sort it.  I hope it's software ... it's so much cheaper  than hardware fixes! 🙂

I do hope that you get out of that office - MW is wonderful once you're out of there!