How to change the launcher settings via the ini files?

InDarkestNight

I'm playing on linux. A drawback to this is that to run Mod Organizer, I had to override Skyrim's default starter. This means that I can't access the launcher anymore; trying to open it just opens mod organizer. Even trying to do it through mod organizer just gives me an error message saying that 2 instances of mod organizer can't be open at the same time.

I manged to turn on antialiasing, thank god, but that's about it. Its variable is iMultiSample. I can't however find the keywords for the other settings. In particular, I want to make sure my textures are tuned up to ultra.

How can I do this? I need this work around do to stinking linux. And no, I am NOT about to install windows on this thing again, even for Skyrim. I wasn't bothered by this before purely because I was planning on playing with a lot of texture mods. That won't be happening this time, and probably not for a while. Besides, I couldn't find textures for everything anyway, and I'm still waiting for some textures to come out for Xavbio's sets.

So how can I do this? How can I find this out even? The step project isn't of any use.

• 4 weeks later...

If you go into the Skyrim folder (~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Skyrim/, for me), there should be a copy of the original launcher in there -- _SkyrimLauncher.exe (with an underscore in front of it).  Go into Mod Organizer, hit <Edit...> in the executables pulldown, and edit the listing for Skyrim Launcher (just add the _) so its path points to that original launcher instead of the MO one.

Heck, you could even take that original launcher and make a copy or a symlink with a more descriptive name (like SkyrimLauncher_orig.exe).  Then point MO's pulldown listing to that, so there's less confusion about what it's pointing to.* 

EDIT: And hit the Backup button on your right-pane plugins list before launching that launcher!  For me, the launcher didn't just auto-detect my settings; it also enabled every mod .esp it could see in that profile -- including those I want to keep disabled with that setup. *smh*

EDIT 2: Same thing should work in SE too.  Also, added pics -- and kinda wishing this could display small thumbnails in this actual post.

* EDIT 3: Maybe make a backup copy of the MO launcher too while you're in there, in case a "Verify integrity of game files" replaces it someday.

EDIT 4 (late): Spoilered the pics.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2024-02-23_05-38-46_c.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_2024-02-23_05-49-31_cr.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_2024-02-23_05-51-20_c.png

Edited by AaronOfMpls

This is both true of LE and SE, in the main game folder (where the Skyrim EXE lives) there are multiple INI files.  One of these INI files is called ultra.ini.  This file contains the ultra settings used by the launcher to apply them to the Skyrimprefs.ini file.

Might at least be worth a look to see if adjusting those values does what you want.