ℹ️ Download History temporarily unavailable ×

Skyrim doesn't close when exiting game. Still open in processes.

Anoxeron

For some reason when quitting the game it is still open in processes. Not that big of a deal unless I forget to close it out manually. Before I realized this was happening I had four instances of the game running and was wondering why it was bogging down three ways to whatever. Since the last update I've been plagued by numerous issues but this is one I've not found any answer to. Any help will be Greatly Appreciated. Much Thanks in advance.

Not something I've noticed, in either SE or LE/Oldrim.

Are you running the Steam or GOG version of SE?  And if the Steam version, was it still showing as running in your Steam client's library?

Sorry 'bout that. Finally figured out how to reply thanks to my friend. Steam version. And closing the game does shut it down in Steam but not in processes.

6 hours ago, Anoxeron said:

Sorry 'bout that. Finally figured out how to reply thanks to my friend. Steam version.

No problem!

6 hours ago, Anoxeron said:

And closing the game does shut it down in Steam but not in processes.

Weird.  What OS are you using?  And does it stay in processes if you wait more than a few minutes?

(If Windows 10 or 11, I won't know a whole lot; I haven't used Windows myself since Windows 7.  I moved to Linux when Win7 support ended in 2020, and I run all my Windows games in either Wine or Steam.)

Still using 7 and no, if I don't close it manually it will stack. Another thing even more strange is that each instance is using the same amount of resources as if the game is running. On that, can you run all high end graphic games using Wine?

13 hours ago, Anoxeron said:

Still using 7 and no, if I don't close it manually it will stack. Another thing even more strange is that each instance is using the same amount of resources as if the game is running.

Hmm, not a problem I ever had.  Any luck Googling it? 

Though I also never ran SE at all on 7, let alone a recent version of SE.

13 hours ago, Anoxeron said:

On that, can you run all high end graphic games using Wine?

Well I haven't tried all, but most of those I have on Steam work just fine, via Steam Proton.  Some need different settings tweaks in Steam, including specific versions of Proton, in the game's Properties > Compatibility tab.  ProtonDB has (user-submitted) info about what might be needed to get specific games to run. 

I also have a few Windows games I don't run in Steam (that just load Wine when I run them).  But they're mostly older ones like SimCity 4 or Civilization II.  (Or even a few Windows 3.1 games like SkiFree and JezzBall.)  I don't really have a lot of modern high-end graphic games that I didn't buy in Steam sales. 🙂

*I'm not counting Morrowind, even though I have the Steam version, since I play it with the Linux version of OpenMW (a fan-made replacement game engine, free and open-source).

Edited by AaronOfMpls
removed edit, to repost separately

Searching around a bit ...

• What mod manager are you using, if any? 
  • Does the not-closing problem still happen you've recently restarted/rebooted Windows? 
  • Is your SKSE up to date?  Are your mods up to date, if you look through your mod manager or your Nexus download history?  (Some mods updated too, to deal with the recent game updates.)
  • Have you done "Verify integrity of game files", in case something went missing or got corrupted? 
  • Does the problem still happen with no mods?*  (EDIT: feel free to skip this one for now, if temporarily removing all your mods sounds like something beyond your comfort or ability.)
  • Does it happen with other games, or other programs?

* You can back up your ...\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\ folder and .ini-tweak files somewhere (move them elsewhere on your drive), and have Steam recreate fresh ones through "Verify integrity of game files".  You can move your mods back later, once the game is working correctly.  (If using Mod Organizer, you shouldn't have much to copy, since most/all of your mods are probably in MO's folders, instead your real Skyrim Data folder.)

Edited by AaronOfMpls

I'm using Mod Manager. It does this regardless of a fresh boot or continued run. All files verify. Before the second update the game launched completely outside of Steam and I don't think CK is running in Steam (CK runs and my created plugins work fine). Skyrim is the only game this happens on. I didn't have any issues before the update. I had to ditch a couple of older mods incompatible with the latest SKSE. I've attempted reverting the .ini files but it makes no difference. As far as removing mods, it did this on a completely fresh install after installing SKSE without adding any mods. No way I can play it without mods though XD. I'm going to have to get Win 10, this outdated Pc won't run 11 and I've to many games that require high end graphics. I'll have to reinstall everything which will be no small chore. But I really Appreciate you taking the time, and again Much Thanks.

Just confirmed that CK isn't running in Steam. As long as it works I'm not going to complain. 🙂 !!!

Also checked and it (Skyrim CK) does launch and close properly through Steam. It will not launch Steam if opened through the games folder ... too weird. XD