I'm about to give up playing Skyrim because of frequent crashes, please help?

rebelatnight

So

I finally got my near ideal perfect mod loadout for AE ready, I can launch the game and play just fine for about 12-16 hours

But then around 16 hours into a new character, without fail for three characters in a row now, the game will crash whenever I try to save, either through the menus or through the console.

I've already disabled autosave, but the problem will get so bad, I can't even save to try "player.kill" to flush out scripts as it will just boot me back to the main menu.

I've tried everything I can think of through either Googling around, or trying suggestions generated by the Crash Report, such as removing mods that overwrite each other, removing HDT-SMP and CBPC, but nothing.

I'm almost convinced it's a DLL issue (LOOKING AT YOU ENGINE FIXES, that's been suggested by the crash logs more than once, but I can't take it out without the game then failing to load altogether), or some other mod in my loadout causing trouble, but I'm so down and dejected by this going on several characters in a row that I feel like going off Skyrim, and just playing another TES game for a while.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or ideas, I'll try anything at this point.

Edit: I'm following STEP 2.2.0 for the basis of this mod loadout, hence my suspicions it's a mod that isn't quite working with 1.61170.

Edit2: As much as it pains me, I'm also ready to tear out large chunks from my load order if I have to. Graphical fidelity, gameplay changes, QOL tweaks can be tossed aside if it means I can have a stable mod load that doesn't cause issues just as I'm settling into a new character.

crash-2024-02-23-10-49-52-REPORT.txt crash-2024-02-23-10-49-52.log

Have you looked at your saves in Fallrim Tools Resaver?    Specifically, first save created at game start,  a save 6-7 hours into game, and the last save you make before it starts crashing?    Namely the reported size of the file, as well its number of script instances, changeforms and such?

16 hours ago, Hietanen said:
  • po3_PapyrusExtender.dll v5.6.1.1

Incompatible and cause crashes. You need Papyrus Extender v5.6.2.

• ScaleformTranslationPP.dll v1.7

Incompatible, unless you use the updated version found in the mod's comment section, or here:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/111771

See if this fixes your crashing issues.

Thanks for the heads up!

I downloaded both of the newer versions of those mods for 1.6.1130+, loaded up my game and tried to save after 1 minute of having the game open, and it crashed 😞

Not sure if it's because that character is already broken, I'm going through the other tip of looking through the save files in ReSaver, but I hope it will help in future saves.

Thanks again for having a look!

18 minutes ago, rebelatnight said:

Thanks for the heads up!

I downloaded both of the newer versions of those mods for 1.6.1130+, loaded up my game and tried to save after 1 minute of having the game open, and it crashed 😞

Not sure if it's because that character is already broken, I'm going through the other tip of looking through the save files in ReSaver, but I hope it will help in future saves.

Thanks again for having a look!

If you crash, post a new crash log.

16 hours ago, scorrp10 said:

Have you looked at your saves in Fallrim Tools Resaver?    Specifically, first save created at game start,  a save 6-7 hours into game, and the last save you make before it starts crashing?    Namely the reported size of the file, as well its number of script instances, changeforms and such?

I have, but I'm not sure what exactly to look for with ReSaver, it's been ages since I last used it to do serious save analysis.

I'll at least post the numbers from the three save points you suggested.

Start save:

ReSaver popped up a warning box with

Stack count

There are 64 stacks and 135 frames. This may indicate a serious problem, but it can also just mean that Papyrus is overloaded because of low FPS or too many mods doing things at the same time.

I think it's since that character was fresh out of CC in Aternate Start, too many mods were doing things at the same time ( A LOT of popup notifications in the left hand corner of the screen), but I found it interesting to note nonetheless.

• Version string: null
  • Form version: 78
  • Time: Sun Feb 18 18:09:18 AEDT 2024
  • Total size: 23.3 mb (6.5 mb with LZ4)</li>
  • Papyrus size: 19.1 mb
  • ChangeForms size: 3.5 mb
  • Total ScriptData in load order: not available

The savefile was successfully loaded.

• Read 1.6 mb in 6.5 seconds.
  • SKSE co-save was loaded.

Script instances=138256

Changeforms=16302

Save 7 hours into playing:

• Time: Mon Feb 19 20:16:07 AEDT 2024
  • Total size: 30.4 mb (9.4 mb with LZ4)</li>
  • Papyrus size: 21.2 mb
  • ChangeForms size: 8.2 mb

• Read 2.8 mb in 9.4 seconds.

Script instances=183733

Changeforms=55956

Save just before the crashing started:

• Time: Fri Feb 23 21:45:51 AEDT 2024
  • Total size: 32.2 mb (10.1 mb with LZ4)</li>
  • Papyrus size: 21.7 mb
  • ChangeForms size: 9.4 mb

• Read 2.9 mb in 10.1 seconds.

Script instances=190887

Changeforms=66627

...I think I'm definitely going to have to rip out some script-heavy mods, especially if I'm not that attached to them, or use them that often.

44 minutes ago, Hietanen said:

If you crash, post a new crash log.

Got 'em as requested.

From what I can tell, it seems to point to Cutting Room Floor as an issue, but I'm really not sure on that one.

Either that or Occlusion?

Let me know if you think I'm wrong on either point.

crash-2024-02-24-06-31-29.log crash-2024-02-24-06-31-29-REPORT.txt

3 hours ago, rebelatnight said:

Got 'em as requested.

From what I can tell, it seems to point to Cutting Room Floor as an issue, but I'm really not sure on that one.

Either that or Occlusion?

Let me know if you think I'm wrong on either point.

crash-2024-02-24-06-31-29.log 78.43 kB · 0 downloads crash-2024-02-24-06-31-29-REPORT.txt 13.11 kB · 0 downloads

If you crash when saving, try to enlarge the file size of the save file and maybe that will help:

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/tpmf8x/crash_on_load_and_save_corruption_finally_solved/

The log was not very clear otherwise and I don't think Cutting Room Floor is responsible, but is a false positive, but you can always try and disable it and see just in case.

• (Journal_SystemTab*)
  • (JournalMenu*)

I do believe some dll or HUD mod may be responsible because of the above references, however. If you hide all dlls in your mod manager and open the game with no dlls, does it crash? Then activate 5 dlls at a time and start the game. Do this until you crash, and remove all dlls that crash and then continue to activate dlls until all are active.

If the journal menu is broken, try to install/reinstall Dear Diary Dark Mode:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/60837

The save file size and number of script instances are actually well within expected numbers, so you don't appear to have a save file bloat issue.    Having stacks/frames means you might want to enable your Papyrus logging as well and see what it says.

Did you check the logs of individual .dll plugins?    (SMP,  skee, etc)?

On 2/24/2024 at 9:43 PM, Hietanen said:

If you crash when saving, try to enlarge the file size of the save file and maybe that will help:

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/tpmf8x/crash_on_load_and_save_corruption_finally_solved/

The log was not very clear otherwise and I don't think Cutting Room Floor is responsible, but is a false positive, but you can always try and disable it and see just in case.

• (Journal_SystemTab*)
  • (JournalMenu*)

I do believe some dll or HUD mod may be responsible because of the above references, however. If you hide all dlls in your mod manager and open the game with no dlls, does it crash? Then activate 5 dlls at a time and start the game. Do this until you crash, and remove all dlls that crash and then continue to activate dlls until all are active.

If the journal menu is broken, try to install/reinstall Dear Diary Dark Mode:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/60837

Well

After a couple of days, here's what happened.

I found the form ID that was listed in the crash log for Cutting Room Floor, and it was a leveled list that Cutting Room Floor edited. (I think it was for misc items carried by vendors?, the form ID was 9AF0A)

On impulse, I removed that edit in Cutting Room Floor, and oh my goodness, my game was working again!!

I could save, and all was good for a few days and another 9ish hours of gameplay. I got so confident my issue was solved, I even reinstalled FSMP again. (with the NPC fix of course)

Then I left Windhelm, saved, and my game crashed. Words cannot describe the noise I made in frustration.

I re-disabled FSMP, loaded up the game, saved and it was working again. Who knows how long this will last, but it's okay for now.

I wonder if a mod that alters or draws upon that leveled list is the issue, since it came up again in the crash logs, so I've started drawing up a list of mods in my current loadout that reference it to check.

I'll be busy for a few days with work and such, but I feel like I have a lead for now to chase up on, IE, that leveled list.

Attached my last few crash logs for reference, I might have missed something.

Thanks again for the help, I'll also try the file size fix, and checking my DLLs when I have some time. 🙂

crash-2024-02-25-09-58-30-REPORT.txt crash-2024-02-24-06-31-29.log crash-2024-02-24-06-31-29-REPORT.txt