ℹ️ Download History temporarily unavailable ×

How Does This Community Feel About Running With An Idea From Another Mod?

OneOnOne1162

So, recently I was on Reddit and someone posted about a mod they were releasing. Now, I thought the mod had a cool idea but I felt like it was missing a very crucial mechanic as part of it. I suggested the mechanic to the mod author but they weren't interested in implementing it. So I thought maybe I'd make my own version of the mod with that mechanic included.

To be clear, I wouldn't look at that other mod in the creation kit or use any of its assets AT ALL. It's only the idea that I'd run with and add my own spin to. And I just know (from almost 10 years of experience making my own mods) how I could do it without looking at how the original person's mod specifically works.

I don't really want to step on anyone's toes though, so I was wondering... is this something you guys think is ok to do without asking for permission from that mod author?

If this is a really original mod idea and not a rehash of something already in existence,  I would most certainly run it by the author first.   Or (if possible), once the mod is released, make an add-on mod that uses original as master and implements this mechanic.

2 hours ago, scorrp10 said:

If this is a really original mod idea and not a rehash of something already in existence,  I would most certainly run it by the author first.   Or (if possible), once the mod is released, make an add-on mod that uses original as master and implements this mechanic.

I don't think I'd do it at all if it was just an add-on. I did consider that, but it sounds really annoying to have to work with someone else's mod. I imagine everyone has a very different approach to modding and especially a very different naming system. And that seems like a nightmare to bother with.

As for "really original" I'd say that's kind of subjective. It's a mod that adds enchantments that are negative like drain magicka on yourself and stuff.

I don't know if this concept applies to the discussion about improving on an existing idea, but here is how I think it goes.

Sliced bread was invented.  Some guy got the idea of toasting the sliced bread.  He buttered up a hot iron skillet and threw a couple slices of bread on it.

The idea spread, and toast became popular.  Many other people started doing it.

This other guy figured out that if you made a small cage of cast iron, and heated it up, then stuck four slices of bread in the cage, the bread would toast up on both sides at the same time, and you wouldn't need to butter the cast iron toast holder to use it.

The idea worked, but it wasn't a popular method for making toast.

Another guy, though, works with electricity, got an idea of making an electrified device that you could stick slices of bread in it, and the heated coils would toast the bread on both sides at the same time, AND you didn't need to use fire to heat up the toaster.

The idea was wildly popular, but you had to stand over the toaster and manually shut it off, and then use tongs to get the toast out.

A few other guys made improvements on the electric toaster idea.  One added an automatic timer that made the toast pop up when it was done.  Another added a function that varied the time the toast spent in the electric toaster, so that you could get the toast to come out the way you liked it.

In the end, these were all variations and improvements on the original idea of making toast with sliced bread.

In the patent office, each person only filed the patent on their contribution that made an improvement to the original invention of making toast.  None of them asked the guy before him if he could improve on the invention.  They just did it.

I think it's the same way with coding.  This is why there are several different word processors for creating documents.  They all wrote their own code, but it was to accomplish the same end, an application for creating electronic documents.  The idea of creating documents came from using typewriters and sheets of paper, before that.

I hope my analogies made sense in the context of modding, I also hope that it is applicable.  Like I said at the start, I don't know if the concept applies, but it seems to be that way, to me.

Well conceptually it makes sense.. In fact, that's how the world works and has worked for millennia

As for introducing ideas created in other modern computer applications (in this discussion, games), sure

1) if they make sense for inclusion into said game

2) if the source is legally useable (and you've secured any such rights to do so, if they have to be secured in the first place) OR independently created using your own code

What was it Nike likes as their slogan? oh, yea, just do it. THere are at least 4 different versions of half-dragon races on nexus and I would guess as many off site. All versions of the same idea. You contacted the original mod author and they weren't interested so go for it. I made my own version of the half dragon race too so soon there will be 5 on nexus.

• Like 1

There is no issue if you build your mod from scratch using your own assets.  What I would do since your mod did come from shared aspects of a mod yet to be released is credit them as the source of inspiration for your take on the topic and even link to their mod in case users wish to compare versions.  You can drop a line and let the other author know what you are doing out of respect.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If your mod is standalone and you're building it from scratch, you don't need to ask anything from the other mod author. You might want to give them a nod in your mod description for giving you the idea, but your mod is your own.

If your mod requires the other guy's mod... well, that's going to be a headache because your mod might need to be updated every time he updates his.  I personally wouldn't want the hassle.

Generally speaking if making a mod for my own use only, I don't bother asking permission or anything. I just do whatever I want, no one the wiser.