Make an Existing NPC into a Thieve's Guild Fence?

Say I want to make Jair into a fence for the TG.  How does one do that?  It seems there must be a step by step way to do this (such that they grayed out settings become settable), but I can't figure out what the order is.

Thanks.

Edited by GamerRick

As far as I know, there are a number of conditions that have to be specified before a character starts buying stolen goods:

- His class has to be MerchFence.

- His responsibility has to be below 25.

- He has to be a member of the Fence faction (don't remember the exact name, but you'll find it).

- I am not sure whether he's got to be a member of the Thieves Guild too, may be.

- He has to run a "service" AI package, have a merchant's chest and money like any other merchant. 🙂

- The player has to be a member of the Thieves Guild.

I never play with the Thieves Guild, so never looked into it in detail. But try these points at least. They all have to be satisfied before it works.

If you want to change what the character buys or sells but the options are greyed out, that's because on his Stats tab you've got Auto Stats ticked. Untick that. For this the NPC must have a fixed level, he cannot be offset from PC.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, late to the party here. Actually all you need is for him to be a merchant of some sort and his responsibility to be less than 30. Here's the CS wiki page from UESP since the real CS wiki is still down... Here's an example of a regular NPC that will buy stolen goods.

If you want him to be an actual fence that increases your rank when you sell him stolen goods, there would be a lot more work involved including modifying the quest.

• 3 months later...