[Skyrim LE] What are the necessary baseline crash fixes/bug fixes/utility mods for a Skyrim LE install these days?

melvinius

Hi all!

It's been many years since I dusted off Skyrim LE since I migrated to SE when that came out.  I'm thinking about putting together a vanilla LE install (with visual texture/mesh mods only) for that classic Skyrim experience but I'm not sure what all the necessary stability/memory fix/crash fix mods are these days.  Can anyone post a quick list or some ideas of the bare necessities for a modded Oldrim?

I'll obviously get SkyUI, MCM, SKSE as the modding foundation.  And I'm assuming there's probably a Crash Fixes version for Oldrim.  Beyond that, I've been out of the Oldrim game too long... uh, pun intended?

Thanks,

Mel

I'm not sure about a crash reporter for Oldrim/LE.  I have yet to hear of one, and a search of Nexus Oldrim mods doesn't turn one up.  And my (230+ mods) LE game doesn't crash enough for me to look elsewhere for one. 🙂 *

As for recommended stability mods, I'd also start with the Unofficial LE Patch and meh321's Crash Fixes.  Probably RaceMenu too, if you want the character creation screen to match SkyUI.

And while not strictly vanilla, if you want something to bypass the opening cart ride -- or at least a quiet place for the game to start up before taking it (consider it another stability fix? 😉) -- I still recommend Alternate Start - Live Another Life (LE version no longer on Nexus, but Arthmoor still has it on his AFK Mods site).

----------------------------------------------------

As for my own install, I have more details in an LE forum thread and an SE forum thread (with more responses).  I'm using Mod Organizer 2 on Linux, so it's set up a little unconventionally to get it to run through Steam Proton.  So far, it's no crashier than my old Windows 7 install was. 😎 *

* Though I do get the occasional black-screen lockup after an hours-long session, which forces me to tab out and kill the game, and restart from my last save.  It happens no more often on Linux than it did on Windows 7.

Edited by AaronOfMpls
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply.  Sounds like pretty decent stability despite running it on a non-native OS.  I don't think I ever 100% managed to eliminate all freezes in Oldrim.  There were just too many memory issues with the engine itself (my theory).

And yeah, Alternate Start is a solid recommendation, if even for just the ability to NOT have to go through the cart scene EVERY SINGLE TIME, lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, melvinius said:

I don't think I ever 100% managed to eliminate all freezes in Oldrim.  There were just too many memory issues with the engine itself (my theory).

Especially with Oldrim being 32-bit -- it's not set up to use more than 2-4 GB of your RAM (depending on settings), no matter how much more than that you have.  So compared to (64-bit) SE, it's easier to run out of memory in a long session and/or a heavily-modded game.