New 1.10.31 Crashes trying to load saved games

Thimbolas

Honestly, I don't know. I have a few guesses but I can't verify whether they're true so I rather not spread possibly false info. I can only say that the affected code was edited multiple times by BGS to fix vanilla bugs and mod support wasn't a priority. Make the game load plugins on top of the two official master files is the very first step but it's the vanilla code that has to initialize every form found in the plugins records and the save game properly and be able to handle all the load, i.e. have allocated resources required for it. Since BGS edited the save loader too, it's difficult to determine exactly what mod added records and saved data the updated code couldn't handle.

Edited by LarannKiar

It's load order.  Bethesda has not officially added/enabled modding features yet, which is why we all use SFSE and Plugins.txt.  As a result the game is very sensitive to mod load order, and any game update can screw up a previous working list.  Vortex aggravates this further by rearranging your order on a whim, such as occasionally moving an updated mod to the bottom of the list for no reason.