New 1.10.31 Crashes trying to load saved games

Thimbolas

I have been waiting for SFSE to  update to 1.10.31, and they did.

So I updated my Starfield from Steam to 1.10.31, and now when I load the game from MO2, or from Steam, or from the exe file, doesn't matter, once it gets the loading screen just before loading the saved game where is shown some random picture, your name and your rank, it almost goes to the game, but then it just crashes to desktop.  Any ideas?

Of course. You must also update the others with a new version: Bakka, Achievements, and all of those. There are four of them that have to be updated with a new version of Starfield. There are no errors; it just crashes when it's about to load my saved game.  Right when the game is about to load my save, it shows those different screenshots (sick of seeing that Hope one, thought I killed that guy.) and your username and rank.

I'm wondering if I start a new game and it works, I can go back to a saved game, or does it wipe all those out?

If you reinstall usually your saved games will reappear, whether they still work or not, mine did.  Also do you have a lot of mods?.. are any showing up as incompatible? Sometimes SF runs with these errors and sometimes not.  Disable any incompatibles and try.  I know using Shade Injector CTD mine as soon as it ran.  And RTFP  was crashing my when loading saves.

If it's crashing at the screenshot loadscreen it's a mod issue.  The game is loading mods, then reaches one it can't handle and crashes.  @LarannKiar tells me that the form structures of a lot of data types were changed in the last update, so it's not surprising that some mods will be incompatible.

I had similar problems last update and found that rearranging my load order fixed things.  It's a lot of trial and error unfortunately. 

Move your SFSE plugins from ..\Starfield\Data\SFSE\Plugins folder to another folder and see if the save can be loaded afterward.

Many plugins perform the patches they were coded to once the data handler finishes initializing forms and loading game data like objects rendered in the game world. This process usually completes when the player is about to load a save or maybe after the already selected one to load. If you open the console right after the logo intro ends and type something like TDetect, you may notice the game freezes until the console command is executed. That is because the main thread waits for game data to be loaded. If the game crashes a few seconds later typing the command then it's unlikely the save is corrupted.

In v1.10.31 even object references' base object form was realigned (let alone inventory or keyword data) so I guess many plugins were affected. The save loader and data handler (which handles mods as well) were changed too so if it's a plugin issue disable the ones that were released prior to the new update. You can tell their release date by their "Date modified".

Edited by LarannKiar

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2024 at 1:34 PM, aurreth said:

If it's crashing at the screenshot loadscreen it's a mod issue.  The game is loading mods, then reaches one it can't handle and crashes.  @LarannKiar tells me that the form structures of a lot of data types were changed in the last update, so it's not surprising that some mods will be incompatible.

I had similar problems last update and found that rearranging my load order fixed things.  It's a lot of trial and error unfortunately. 

Have to do this for pretty much every save I load these days... 😕

1 hour ago, remosito said:

Have to do this for pretty much every save I load these days... 😕

Do you have a "heavy" load order? Unfortunately before offical mod support BGS doesn't really mind modifying form data structures which are usually found in mods as well. After the Creation Kit is released they tend to be a little bit more cautious.

Edited by LarannKiar

60/70 esm...some with quite a few scripts...

after doing the rearrange load order and mod list ever day...I seem to have hit Gold. Saves loaded fine for the last few days.

Not sure what it is. Load Order. Or mod list. Or maybe something in my save caused issues. And removing and readding mods cleared it out?