Does modding in general destroy NPC AI?

Kanori24

So I've been modding Beth games for a while. Oblivion, Skyrim, and FO4. It seems I can add 'broken AI' to the other two certainties of life. I follow good practices like never removed plugins during a playthrough and reading up on mods to make sure no one is reporting any game breaking issues. But most importantly, I've never really used any AI-changing mods. I was really late getting to FO4 (like a year and a half ago lol) and I played a vanilla playthrough with ONLY the unofficial patch installed at first. Seemed to work great. No real problems. But nowadays... I'm on my second mod build being as careful as I can, and... Preston always pulls his gun on me when I talk to him, companions can't be told to move from one side of an open room to another, claiming they can't reach the spot. Raiders get stuck running up against a wall while in combat. And that's only IF they notice me walking right in front of them. NPCs walk away/don't face me in conversation. I very often see NPCs get stuck, unable to decide which direction to go in. OH, and traders/supply line NPCS and their Brahmin are NEVER together! They always get permanently split up, probably because the Brahmin got stuck walking into a tree and couldn't figure out how to go around it.

I don't really have all that many actual game bugs, glitches or crashes. The game seems to work well. It's always the AI that goes south and eventually I find myself calling up the console way too frequently to correct some stupid NPC movement or whatever. So what's the deal? Is broken/incompitent/goofy/glitchy AI just a by-product of this modding thing that everybody has to deal with, or does my being careful need to be upgraded to being even more careful? 😮

30 minutes ago, Kanori24 said:

Preston always pulls his gun on me when I talk to him, companions can't be told to move from one side of an open room to another, claiming they can't reach the spot. Raiders get stuck running up against a wall while in combat. And that's only IF they notice me walking right in front of them.

On Preston, I've never seen him put his laser musket away *laughs* But if he's outright pointing it at you, one of your mods broke him and/or his factions.

As for the navmesh issues, that's not modding in general. One of your mods is doing that, and I have no clue as none of the hundreds of mods I have installed do that.

I also use tons of mods which change factions and NPC behaviors and quests and the like, but they don't break my game.

For instance, to name just a tiny fraction of mods I use which safely change NPCs and factions:

• Problems of Survivor
  • Nuka Ride
  • Commonwealth Slavers
  • Autonomy Enhanced
  • Sexual Harassment
  • Family Planning
  • Wasteland Dairy Framework
  • AAF Violate
  • AAF Spectators
  • Bound In Public
  • Provocative Perks
  • Extended Dialogue
  • Crime and Punishment
  • Magno Cum Gaudio
  • Just Business
  • Triggerwoman
  • Tons and tons more that affect NPCs and/or factions

I recommend you carefully review the mods you installed to figure out which one is causing those issues.

It isn't a problem with Fallout 4 mods in general. It's a problem with something specific you installed (and which I am not using).

p.s. Some of your issues you described, such as NPCs not being able to figure out how to get somewhere, could also be caused by overhaul mods you might be using. All I know is one or more of the mods you installed broke your game, but it's not normal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kanori24 said:

NPCs walk away/don't face me in conversation.

and traders/supply line NPCS and their Brahmin are NEVER together!

These issues are also there without any mods installed. It's really annoying when you talk to an NPC and then they just walk away mid-sentence. I have also seen Carla alone in Sanctuary. Sometimes her Brahmin is stuck on the roof of one of the houses or it is standing on Marcy Long's bed (yes, I actually saw that happen at one point. It was inside the house, on one of the beds. It was stuck there and couldn't get out. Carla just left without it).

3 hours ago, Kanori24 said:

companions can't be told to move from one side of an open room to another, claiming they can't reach the spot.

I very often see NPCs get stuck, unable to decide which direction to go in

Seen this happen in vanilla when I was building in Vault 88. This mod might be worth a look: Interior NavCut Fix. It can also happen if a mod author didn't add any navmesh to their mods.

3 hours ago, Karna5 said:

On Preston, I've never seen him put his laser musket away.

He does put his musket away after you complete some of the Minutemen quests and he becomes a settler. When he is not a settler, he will walk around Sanctuary with his musket.

• Like 2

Alright. I apologize for not seeing these responses in a timely manner. I wasn't aware that the forum uses separate notifications from the main site (where mods are discovered and downloaded)

Just to clarify what I meant about Preston pointing his musket at me. It happens when I talk to him... not just him, tho. It's pretty much any NPC. They'll draw their weapon and go into their aiming animation. It's totally harmless, just annoying lol

So I don't really use any overhaul mods... yet. The vast majority of my load order is just content stuff. Lots of Vtaw clothing, a few weapons, retextures, etc. I don't have anything that's 'supposed to' change NPC factions, etc, but I'll load everything in xEdit and have a look.

• Like 1

Broken pre-combines can destroy pathing and you are not going to see that in Xedit. As was already said the vanilla AI is already kinda janky and even if mods don't touch AI behavior, altering other game data can directly affect the systems that AI utilizes. Amazing follower tweaks can help to stabilize the AI of companions but you should keep in mind that Companion AI has faction, affinity and morality variables that influence their actions. Dogmeat is the only follower that will obey your every order.

Edited by worm82075
striking through false sentence fragment