Crazy-Ass Missing Terrain Glitch

VearCon64

I have had this glitch occur in AE on multiple PCs with fresh installations and different hardware and thus have NO f*#@ING CLUE what could possible cause it. It must be a common mod I always use, but the question is WHAT?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Could it be SIMM?! Is it the USSEP?! WHAT THE f*#@?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20240406131532_1.jpg

First of all, where in Skyrim is this?  (Directions and/or a map.)

And how are you getting there when it happens?  Are you loading the same save every time?  Starting new from the main menu, with or without an alternate start mods?  coc'ing there in the console from the main menu?

Have you backed up your load order and tried disabling mods to see which one might be the problem?

And does it go away if you reload?  From this picture, it looks a lot like a LOD glitch, where the distant version of the ground is being mistakenly loaded through the nearby version.  You can usually clear those by saving, loading a different save in another area, then loading the save of where you were again.

Edited by AaronOfMpls

Not a mod.  It has happened in the unmodded base game for both LE and SE.  All it is, is a sign that your game has a bottleneck and struggling to swap from LOD to closeup textures.  It happens to me after some time playing.  Saving, exiting and reloading solves the problem for the next little while.

I have a personal threshold where if this type of thing crops up within, I look at culling some mods until this issue appears later than the designated threshold.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 3:13 PM, IsharaMeradin said:

Not a mod.  It has happened in the unmodded base game for both LE and SE.  All it is, is a sign that your game has a bottleneck and struggling to swap from LOD to closeup textures.  It happens to me after some time playing.  Saving, exiting and reloading solves the problem for the next little while.

I have a personal threshold where if this type of thing crops up within, I look at culling some mods until this issue appears later than the designated threshold.

Meshes/collision as well then. I guess that makes sense. Interesting...