Overwhelmed by the number of mods, came back to play in April 2024...

Scarrwith2Rs

43 minutes ago, Scarrwith2Rs said:

Thanks to everyone who replied. Exactly what I was looking for to get started up again!

I did skip the utilities and bug fixes section and focused more on the "experiences mods" that I felt you seemed to be asking about.

But those utilities, bug removers, bug minimizers etc are a fair Addition to this list as pointed out by others so here are some words on that:

Here is a small collection of useful utilities:

FO4 Essentials | Fallout 4 | Nexus Mods

also the High speed Physics fix which alleviates much of the issues involved in playing an older game with a modern rig and usually also significantly reduces your load times. It unties FPS and load times so a faster rig can have lower load times now.  Even if your game is agreeable with your newer hardware many folks install this to lower load times, my load times are 2-5 seconds now.

High FPS Physics Fix at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com)

And next the title explains what it does, though not everyone has this issue, try first if you have sprint stuttering in your game and if yes use this)

Sprint Stuttering Fix at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com)

While many people thumb their noses at collections for various reasons (they are rarely properly curated or updated with new versions of a given mod), they can be a good inspiration.

In the beginning I often poked around in them and looked what mods where in them and then downloaded some of those. I rarely find a collection, at least not a large one , where I want all the mods in it, so to control mod bloat I always just pick and choose.

Based on my 4000 hrs playtime (still less than karna) and my playstyle, I was thinking of publishing my own collection too...

Outside of utilities our mod choices are heavily influenced by our playstyles of course.

I like to play ethically and from my mentality as if I was really there in that universe.

So I stay a male and try to use my military mentality ( both from in game lore and personally real world) leading the minutemen and spreading good leadership by building quality settlements and on occasion also to have some fun with some settler girls and go on long exploration romps (DLCs and New Lands mods) to collect loot for the Minutemen and settlements and make the in game Universe a safer and better place for the people.

Thats one way to play ,  but there are many others out there.

13 hours ago, 363rdChemicalCompany said:

I don''t think i can express what it has been like coming back to Fallout 4 after so long in Skyrim with 2 sec load times on a 140GB install and having to endure 20-30 sec load times and i don't even have the HD textures installed. Going to test this immediately.

Edit: Unfortunately I don't have the horsepower to make the most of this mod BUT it isn't just a simple fix, it's an entire suite of tweaks that have different results based on your system. A couple of the tweaks were viable for my aging dinosaur and my load times were cut in half so thank you.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, worm82075 said:

I don''t think i can express what it has been like coming back to Fallout 4 after so long in Skyrim with 2 sec load times on a 140GB install and having to endure 20-30 sec load times and i don't even have the HD textures installed. Going to test this immediately.

Another trick to combat long load times is to simply push the windows button.

And once you landed on desktop wait 1-1.5 seconds or so and then click yourself back into the game via the icon on the taskbar.

This also unties your load time from the fps and 70-80% of the time results in an (almost) immediate load.

• Like 1