⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Rating system overhaul

Dark0ne

Somebody had already mentioned GreaseMonkey scripts and that is exactly what I was going to recommend...but not to just create a single variable to watch but several variables to give a better (widescreen) picture. It might be worth some investigation on what all can be done with GreaseMonkey scripts since it can all be done on the client-side and not impact the server. :D

Thanks for mentioning that again LHammonds. Yeah, Greasemonkey scripts are great, but their big limitation is that since it's client-side, the only data available is what's on the page. So for example, with my script I can only display stats based on # of downloads on pages that include # of downloads (Search, Browse by Category) - and of course these can't be used as search or sorting criteria. Hopefully if I hit on something useful, Dark0ne might want to add it server-side so that file queries can use it.

I'm thinking that if I can find a suitable way to scale an Endorsements/Downloads value, it will work well as a "User Response" rating that takes file popularity out of the equation.

BTW - I just updated my script to include TES Nexus too: Nexus Extra Stats

(Comments on the userscripts.org page welcome!)

Edited by HugePinball

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I surrender. Once "not a right, a priviledge" comes out, it's all over but the bruised feelings. I'll just leave you with three words: free content providers. They're like earthworms or blue-green algae: easy to ignore or take for granted, but absolutely necessary and, in a way, all-powerful. There's a word for people who run a website without free content providers doing the heavy lifting. They're called Blogspot users.

I was reading about an anime mod on a non-English site last night and suddenly this expression came to me, like a line from a movie I'd seen or a book I'd read: "Excuse me, this is machine translation to english, sorry but I cannot give support [to this mod]." Some people are multilingual and some are not. It's no crime.

But if a heavy-hitter mod author whose screenshots always feature Korean or Cyrillic characters has trouble with English, do you think they're going to stick around for the Roman Coliseum treatment when their well-earned egos are used to nines and tens? Do you think they'll stop modding altogether because one foreign-language site changes its policies or closes down entirely? Do you think they've cut this discussion into 760 pieces and fed it into Babelfish so they can fully participate in the thought-experiment of binary ratings? Obviously the last one is a "no," but as for the other two, well, I guess I'll find out.

Long live Oblivion!

But if a heavy-hitter mod author whose screenshots always feature Korean or Cyrillic characters has trouble with English, do you think they're going to stick around for the Roman Coliseum treatment when their well-earned egos are used to nines and tens? Do you think they'll stop modding altogether because one foreign-language site changes its policies or closes down entirely? Do you think they've cut this discussion into 760 pieces and fed it into Babelfish so they can fully participate in the thought-experiment of binary ratings? Obviously the last one is a "no," but as for the other two, well, I guess I'll find out.

Long live Oblivion!

Well, I do live in one of those double bit character countries for about 10 years now and from what I see on the sites here is that they do not really care whether there is a binary or another rating system in place.

Most of them MOD for fun not for fame, which is refreshing having same of the posts here in mind.

Edit: Typo

I thank you for the ability to view my download history. It has made it much easier for me to go back and thank modders for their amazing efforts (and to find solutions in the relevant comments to any mistakes I might have made in my installations).

I feel that time is going to prove that the new endorsement system will gradually give a more balanced view of all the files available.

I personally choose the downloads I want based on the responses in the comments section and whether good support has been given to people like myself with a limited understanding of computing.

Hmmm... easy-to-use, almost troll proof (make that totally), different top 50 files instead of the same... NICE! Edited by patrickpowns

I preferred the 1-10 system but I understand why its been done after reading the news post.

Shame that we have to reduce it to a binary system partly for the benifit of trolls. Oh well I guess it works better by removing the "I spit on your mod" ratings, I'm sure it will grow on me.

With the ability to hate people removed others might feel good enough to start releasing their personal mods. As far as I can see this small inconveniance and break from the norm will be win-win, and I'm usually pessimistic!

I may be incorrect, but there seems to be an error in the endorsement comment system. Whenever I tried to write more than 2-3 sentecnes, it keeps giving me IPS error.

but if I just write "Thank you" or "keep up the good work" it makes no error. I want to write more details of appreciation to the modder but it just doesnt let me.