Rating system overhaul

Dark0ne

St1gMa, you and ghsmith both have vaild points. The problem I see with this is that no one seems to be using the "don't endorse" function. Simply due to the polarization of the rating system a good/bad aspect has been added in. We are left with two options, either it works fine or it doesn't work + reasons. I've noticed that overall numbers of ratings are dropping, and have been since before the update.

I do try to understand the reasons behind what Dark0ne has done. I know that there are plenty in Europe (and I don't exclude the United Kingdom from that the way I normally would) who believe that massive amounts of state control is the way to go. And this is simply another form of control. The sensorship in the forums and posts was the first form.

Dark0ne, I urge you to not forget that most of the members of the Nexus (myself included) are Americans. We generally believe that more control is a bad thing. I realize that I run the risk of being banned for saying this; but I think you need to accept the fact that, yes, people did, and would have continued to, abuse the existing rating system. I admit freely that I don't know the exact number of twerps who did so. I do belive though, that for every one person who abused the system, one hundred others used it as it was meant to be used. Forcing us to listen doesn't mean that we hear what you are trying to say. I don't know if I'd place money on it, but I'd be willing to bet that if you went back and looked at everysingle rating under the old system, the 9s would outnumber the 10s by a fair margine.

Edit: And ghsmith, I think the term you are looking for is 'hugbox'.

Edited by TheOzoneHole

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I'd place money on it, but I'd be willing to bet that if you went back and looked at everysingle rating under the old system, the 9s would outnumber the 10s by a fair margine.

Here's a break-down of the total count of each number rating:

1 6618

2 592

3 788

4 596

5 1506

6 1198

7 2555

8 6665

9 13111

10 115701

Dark0ne, I urge you to not forget that most of the members of the Nexus (myself included) are Americans

Fortunately, Dark0ne lives in England, so it's a different country, different perspectives. I try to understand the site owner.

I don't like this rating system because it gives less chance for unpopular mods to risen up. There's a top 25 files in the past two weeks, but how about if the file have never been touch in a such long time, that's my comment. I wish we use a percentage system by the number of endorsements that measured by unique user downloads in every file. That's a fair rating system.

But I appreciate other of your new system function.

1 6618

2 592

3 788

4 596

5 1506

6 1198

7 2555

8 6665

9 13111

10 115701

Wow ! But I believe really good mods don't have a thumbs down. I think the ratings below 6 because it was not really good. Do you think a mod that crashes the game, and corrupt the save game too receive a 10.00 ? So if a mod rated "1" it's not always a vote abuse.

That's my comment, sorry if this insult your hard work for all this years. That's just my comment, and hoped for . . . a better Nexus.

I think I'm one of the first (comment #19) to give a negative comment on this subject, but for a good reason.

"The unpopular modder's hard-worked creation must be treated honorably."

are you sure you have read what you wrote? Basic idea stays the same good files get many endorsements and bad files don't (would you give your endorsement to bad file?) tumb down gives feedback how to improve the file... not like "this author is idiot let me downrate his file so I feel good for knowing his file goes down cause of me" this new system eliminates this kind of people. rating system is supposed to show how good the file is, not how bad...

If you people compare these problems to ones before you should notice at these are minor to ones before.

I could not agree more!!!

My definition of an expert in any field is a person who knows enough about what's really going on to be scared. - P.J. Plauger

1 6618

2 592

3 788

4 596

5 1506

6 1198

7 2555

8 6665

9 13111

10 115701

I find myself very surprised by those numbers. However, that is only a total of 149,330 ratings. How many of those were made before commenting was required? Furthermore, if each rating was unique to a memeber (which they wern't) that would only be 0.134489% of the current community having cast a rating. Does that include ratings that were "removed" by the moderating staff? If so, how many of those were deleted?

I have never had a problem with the timely actions of the moderating staff dealing with twerps who did abuse the system. I would have no probems at all with a download requriement and a 1 hour wait. Most of the people who are creating accounts simply to bash other peoples mods aren't going to be willing to download the mod (which simply by their action of bashing they don't like) and then wait an hour just to make rude comments.

With respect Dark0ne, these changes are rather late to fix the problem.

Ancient Aeon, if you are going to quote me, make sure you understand what it is I'm trying to say. The point I am making by that comment is that many of the American memebers don't like having how we think forced upon us. Europe has lived with a "top down" system for thousands of years. America broke away from that (even though we seem to be going back).

"Any society that would give up a little freedom for a little security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Edited by TheOzoneHole

Ancient Aeon, if you are going to quote me, make sure you understand what it is I'm trying to say. The point I am making by that comment is that many of the American memebers don't like having how we think forced upon us. Europe has lived with a "top down" system for thousands of years. America broke away from that (even though we seem to be going back).

"Any society that would give up a little freedom for a little security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Oh god. I just want to raise the ironic point of you speaking for your fellow Americans while defending your idea of having things "forced upon [us]".

How many of those were made before commenting was required? Furthermore, if each rating was unique to a memeber (which they wern't) that would only be 0.134489% of the current community having cast a rating.

1,100,000 members

150,000 ratings

150,000 / 1,100,000 * 100 = the actual percentage

150,000 / 1,100,000 * 100 = 14%

I cannot seem to choose to not endorse a file. I think that function may be broken or not working. Funny part is, I see lots of files I imagine would have a few non-endorsements but I don't think I've seen any which would give creedence to it not working.

To add to the conversation however, I think endorsements should be taken lightly. A mod comes out and some are quick to endorse it regardless of huge implementation/bug issues. Also since we can now choose to change our non-endorsement to an endorsement later on, giving a non-endorsement should be seen as a 'this file doesn't have the quality we should expect'.

Honestly, I'd hate to hear what marriage/tax/buying a car advice these people might give. Personally I don't really try mods that begin with 'this is my first mod so be gentle'. You know what quality your mod is, now you want people to sugar coat thier responses and be constructive? Your defense should never be, I know it's buggy but I'm gonna fix those. I already knew about them but released the mod anyways XD. It should always be, wow, I didn't know that issue existed, thanks for the information.