⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Need New PC. Open to Suggestions.

Home and Pro, which is what I imagine most people had, only have 24-mo support after release.

Anyway, my point was to give OP heads-up that primary components will soon be going next-gen and that might interest him as he plans for a new build.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, HeyYou said:

Windows 10 and up are spyware masquerading as operating systems.

I seem to remember spending good money on anti spyware and adwware products. I have spent most of my free time the past several days reading up on some tech related things and watching some Youtube videos on the same. I think I've disabled and/or uninstalled most of the spyware and bloat. Now if I could just figure out to permanently disable the sign in on the lock screen.

I do miss my Windows 7 already. Can't keep using it though.

Edited by barrettsfloyd

Should be a setting for that somewhere.... I don't remember where though. If you sign in with an MS account though, I don't think you CAN turn that off....

There was a video on youtube some time back..... a guy turned off all the telemetry that win 10 gave him the option for, but, windows was still phoning home, 2500 times an hour....... or something equally as silly.

This morning I read about ways to disable a bunch of that -- including the need for a Microsoft account -- on a fresh Win11 install.  I'll link it if I find it; it was something I found a few articles deep in a news app on my phone, and so will be hard to find since that doesn't keep a history that I know of.

8 hours ago, 7531Leonidas said:

I think that the term is 'Local Account' for a non-Microsoft account Windows install.  It's been too long since I did mine, don't remember.

MS doesn't want you to have a local account though. They WANT you to have an MS account, so they can sell your data, and get paid for targeted advertising. (Via your O/S..... hhhhmmmmm........) Used to be, you could use [email protected] as the email address for your MS account, enter anything at all for the password, and it would give you an "Ooops", and let you set up a local account. Last time I tried that though, it didn't wanna work. Had to resort to command line methods..... If you do Shift+F10, at any point before logging in with your MS account, (during initial setup) it will open a command windows. Type in "oobe\bypassnro" (no quotes) the machine will restart, and when you get to the sign-in for the MS account, the option for "I don't have Internet" will be there. Unless, of course, you are already connected...... (ethernet cable, or whathaveyou) Windows will whine at you every now and again to 'complete setup', and want you to sign in with an MS account, but, that's easy to bypass as well. :D

• Like 1