Unable to load game with any mods installed from nexus

Hi y'all, hoping I can get some help here. I've not played FO4 for about a year, so started with a fresh install on a new PC. Base game with all DLC (sans the HighRes pack), several Creation Club items, as well as F4SE loads and plays just fine. However, after installing Sim Settlements 2 (all 3 chapters) and its prerequisites (HUDFramework, Workshop Framework, and SS2 Extended) the game crashes during the Intro video. From what I can see it seems to be after Vortex makes changes to my INI's littering "mygames\fallout4\" with the baked and based versions of all of those. 

I've never encountered a hard stop playing FO4 with mods like this before. Anyone got any ideas?

Hi, MisterCarnivore. Hmm, it sounds like you installed a whole slew of mods without testing them as you installed each one?

This is nearly always problematic and also makes it nearly impossible for you to know which installation failed 😞

Edit: I'm blind (truly). So it's only SIM Settlements 2 which is crashing you? I've never used that mod, so I have no guess. Sorry. But I know there are some people on these forums who use it. Maybe they'll have suggestions.

Hi Karna. No, As above I've installed only F4SE, All three Chapters of SS2, SS2 Extended, and HUDFramework, and Workshop Framework. I can replicate the problem, at will, by fully uninstalling all mods and fallout 4, manually wiping the Fallout4 directory from SteamApps\Common, as well as traces from My Documents and userdata. As an aside, I uninstalled all mods, wiped the ini files, and was able to start fallout 4 just fine. I then tried to install CBBE, and as soon as Vortex made changes to the INI's again (the baked and base versions reappeared) the game began crashing again during intro video (I guess I should say during which ever video plays before the main menu shows up, not the intro video upon starting a new game. I am not even getting to the menu with mods installed). 

3 hours ago, MisterCarnivore said:

I then tried to install CBBE, and as soon as Vortex made changes to the INI's again (the baked and base versions reappeared) the game began crashing again during intro video (I guess I should say during which ever video plays before the main menu shows up, not the intro video upon starting a new game. I am not even getting to the menu with mods installed).

That's very interesting. I still use Nexus Mod Manager (community edition), so I had no idea Vortex changes your ini files on you. NMM doesn't do that.

I do know that once an ini file gets broken bad enough to crash you, it can be hard to fix it. I was playing around with the ini files several months ago and thought I had a backup, but I didn't *laughs* I had to completely delete them, start Fallout 4 without F4SE to regenerate default ones, then edit them manually to what I liked, and then from there was finally stable again. But NMM doesn't change my ini files. I'm sorry to hear that Vortex is doing that to you 😞

p.s. For clarity, when I say I had to start Fallout 4 without F4SE, I mean I launched it directly from Steam to get the launch popup that lets me set the display settings. Doing this (setting the Display Settings) generated default ini files to my desired vanilla settings. After that I closed Fallout 4, edited my ini files to add the mod-related settings I like, and then I could launch Fallout 4 through F4SE to play with mods once again.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, worm82075 said:

Is steam installed in the program files folder?

Howdy Worm82075. Yes, it was. I stumbled across something about that last night. So I wiped and reloaded my PC, creating a secondary partition, and have now put my steam library there. I've installed Steam, and now Fallout 4 to that separate partition.  The base game launches and loads just fine, allowing me to get through character creation. I'm installing Vortex now, and will try a single mod (and F4SE as vortex kinda forcers that on you).

15 hours ago, Karna5 said:

That's very interesting. I still use Nexus Mod Manager (community edition), so I had no idea Vortex changes your ini files on you. NMM doesn't do that.

I do know that once an ini file gets broken bad enough to crash you, it can be hard to fix it. I was playing around with the ini files several months ago and thought I had a backup, but I didn't *laughs* I had to completely delete them, start Fallout 4 without F4SE to regenerate default ones, then edit them manually to what I liked, and then from there was finally stable again. But NMM doesn't change my ini files. I'm sorry to hear that Vortex is doing that to you 😞

p.s. For clarity, when I say I had to start Fallout 4 without F4SE, I mean I launched it directly from Steam to get the launch popup that lets me set the display settings. Doing this (setting the Display Settings) generated default ini files to my desired vanilla settings. After that I closed Fallout 4, edited my ini files to add the mod-related settings I like, and then I could launch Fallout 4 through F4SE to play with mods once again.

I never knew that either, but this is the first time I've had problems modding a game, with NMM or Vortex, so WOOT! time to learn 🙂

1 hour ago, MisterCarnivore said:

Howdy Worm82075. Yes, it was. I stumbled across something about that last night. So I wiped and reloaded my PC, creating a secondary partition, and have now put my steam library there. I've installed Steam, and now Fallout 4 to that separate partition.  The base game launches and loads just fine, allowing me to get through character creation. I'm installing Vortex now, and will try a single mod (and F4SE as vortex kinda forcers that on you).

That seems to have solved it. How odd that I've never encountered this before 🙂