Does anyone else think the aiming mechanics in this game sucks?

CrowOfItachi

I ask this because trying to shoot enemies in this game is a pain. As someone who owns guns in real life and has been playing FPS games all his life, I can say with confidence that FO4's aiming is crap. I put the reticle on the enemy, pull the trigger, and somehow miss the target even when they're right in front of me. An example is when I'm using a .44 revolver against a raider with the long barrel upgrade. I point the gun at their chest from about twenty feet away when they're not moving and shoot, but the bullet misses. I own a S&W M29 with a four-inch barrel that I shoot all the time at moving targets at the range that are way smaller than a human torso, and it's far easier to hit my mark even when I'm thirty feet away. Also, like I said, I haven't had this issue with almost any other FPS I've played.

Does anyone else have this issue?

• Like 1

You're not wrong, but I don't think Fallout 4's aiming mechanics are as bad as games such as Watch Dogs or Ghost Recon Point Break (Ghost Recon Wildlands was perfect, but its sequel is the worst I've ever experienced in any PC game).

I've also been very fond of handguns for the last 35ish years of my life, but aside from amazing games like Sniper Elite, I have low expectations of realism in PC games.

For Fallout 4, aiming with a laser musket is exactly as you describe, CrowOfitachi. You aim correctly, and you miss no matter how well you aim. Some guns in Fallout 4 can only be used with VATS and not with free aim.

But in general the hand guns in Fallout 4 hit more or less where you put the reticule. You mention the .44 magnum in Fallout 4, that's one of the reasonably accurate hand guns in the game. Again, it's not like Sniper Elite (the best murder simulator in PC games), but it's way, way better than many other games by big companies 🙂

p.s. to make sure we're talking apples and apples, I play in third person. I never play first person. If you mean the first person aiming in Fallout 4 misses with a .44 magnum, I have no clue as I don't ever aim that way. I use the reticule in third person.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karna5 said:

You're not wrong, but I don't think Fallout 4's aiming mechanics are as bad as games such as Watch Dogs or Ghost Recon Point Break (Ghost Recon Wildlands was perfect, but its sequel is the worst I've ever experienced in any PC game).

I've also been very fond of handguns for the last 35ish years of my life, but aside from amazing games like Sniper Elite, I have low expectations of realism in PC games.

For Fallout 4, aiming with a laser musket is exactly as you describe, CrowOfitachi. You aim correctly, and you miss no matter how well you aim. Some guns in Fallout 4 can only be used with VATS and not with free aim.

But in general the hand guns in Fallout 4 hit more or less where you put the reticule. You mention the .44 magnum in Fallout 4, that's one of the reasonably accurate hand guns in the game. Again, it's not like Sniper Elite (the best murder simulator in PC games), but it's way, way better than many other games by big companies 🙂

p.s. to make sure we're talking apples and apples, I play in third person. I never play first person. If you mean the first person aiming in Fallout 4 misses with a .44 magnum, I have no clue as I don't ever aim that way. I use the reticule in third person.

I play in first person, which was why I mentioned FPS games. I only played Watch Dogs a little bit, so I can't remember how the aiming was in that game. As for Ghost Recon games, I've never played them. Now, when it comes to realism, I don't really care if a game is realistic or not. It's just that when I aim a gun at an enemy, I want to be able to hit where I'm aiming. Sometimes, I miss and know it's me, but other times, I know it's not me.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CrowOfItachi said:

It's just that when I aim a gun at an enemy, I want to be able to hit where I'm aiming.

You probably wouldn't like Starfield then *laughs* The first several shots with a sniper rifle usually miss no matter how carefully aimed 🙂 I should have listed that among the terrible aim games.

FYI, you probably would like Ghost Recon Wildlands. It's pretty amazing. Just avoid Ghost Recon Point Break. It's got the worst keyboard/mouse aiming I've ever experienced.

Also if you haven't played the Far Cry series (especially 3, 4, 5 and new dawn), those are must plays as well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Karna5 said:

You probably wouldn't like Starfield then

My friend Babydoll told me that. She knows how much I hate games with bad aiming mechanics and told me that Starfield's is garbage. It's funny how both FO4 and Starfield are made by Bethesda, isn't it?

12 minutes ago, Karna5 said:

FYI, you probably would like Ghost Recon Wildlands.

I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. I'll check it out when I can.

13 minutes ago, Karna5 said:

Also if you haven't played the Far Cry series (especially 3, 4, 5 and new dawn), those are must plays as well.

I played Far Cry 3, 5, and New Dawn, which were excellent. Though, I hate it when games punish you for accidentally killing innocent people. It's not my fault that some random schmuck was behind the guy I shot with a .50 BMG!

• Haha 1

Problem is this is not an FPS just because it has FPS mechanics. I know that BGS made it a lot less notciable than Fallout 3 but the combat mechanics are still influenced by a number of variables including but not limited to Luck and player level.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, worm82075 said:

Problem is this is not an FPS just because it has FPS mechanics. I know that BGS made it a lot less notciable than Fallout 3 but the combat mechanics are still influenced by a number of variables including but not limited to Luck and player level.

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I'm not talking about what you said, but the fact that they made it luck and level-based for you to be able to shoot something.

I don't have that problem, apart form the usual mesh/line of sight crap (if an enemy is close to something and it looks like you can shot but the bullet hits an invisible "wall").

But, I haven't used vanilla guns for ages, mods and replacers all the way.

On 4/26/2024 at 10:00 PM, CrowOfItachi said:

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I'm not talking about what you said, but the fact that they made it luck and level-based for you to be able to shoot something.

But.. it's an RPG...with magic clothing that gives you increased agility or intelligence and enchanted weapons that magically does more damage to specific target types or never runs out of ammo. In the absence of such mechanics I would agree that real world physics is very important to FPS gameplay because a gun scope mod can't buff an accuracy trait that doesn't exist.

• Like 1

worm is right. Fallout 4 has magic (an old woman taking drugs sees the future). Plus it's essentially a third person shooter, not a first person shooter. With the exception of laser muskets and a couple of other non-ballistic weapons, what you aim at is what you hit with high precision even at very far distances.