Chat with Forum Friends

Drakefell01

@Pagafyr - a welcome back from me to. We'd have missed you! These few surreal threads wouldn't be the same without you. 

It's interesting you mention a cedar allergy, George. I have a pine one. I had to stop having real Christmas trees in the house because over the years the rash got worse. To start with it would clear up in a few hours and then it started to be a few days! I have hayfever too but it isn't severe. I take something for it on really bad days. It's annoying though as I absolutely love being around plants and I do a lot of gardening.

1 hour ago, AaronOfMpls said:

On an unrelated note, did I ever tell you I haven't missed Windows much since I moved to Linux a little over four years ago?

Surely you've missed the blue screen of death... all the adverts and the bloatware and spyware... But perhaps you're so busy with Alsa and sym links that it scarcely registers...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zixi said:

all the adverts and the bloatware and spyware...

Well, I came from Windows 7 at the end of support in early 2020, so in one sense I missed the worst of it, and in another I didn't miss it at all. 😉

3 hours ago, zixi said:

But perhaps you're so busy with Alsa and sym links that it scarcely registers...

My sound has been pretty trouble-free, actually.  It's been an age since anything has tried to use HDMI for sound instead of my actual speakers on the 3.5mm jack. 🙂  And beyond that it's pretty much just worked out of the box.

And I may have made just a few symlinks here and there... 🙂

• Like 2

11 hours ago, zixi said:

@Pagafyr - a welcome back from me to. We'd have missed you! These few surreal threads wouldn't be the same without you. 

It's interesting you mention a cedar allergy, George. I have a pine one. I had to stop having real Christmas trees in the house because over the years the rash got worse. To start with it would clear up in a few hours and then it started to be a few days! I have hayfever too but it isn't severe. I take something for it on really bad days. It's annoying though as I absolutely love being around plants and I do a lot of gardening.

Surely you've missed the blue screen of death... all the adverts and the bloatware and spyware... But perhaps you're so busy with Alsa and sym links that it scarcely registers...

My experiences in early childhood were among senior computer scientist his friends.  One was born in 1923 and his two buddies he knew, one was a Hammie, the other a survivalist.  They talked about their work so often I literally know the inside and out of machines and code.  I turned off anything that didn't relate to gaming on my Mike Crow Soft machines and had none of the problems from the biz promos which included a link to folders for all the biz sponsors supporting Mr G and deleted a lot junk for business advertisements installed in the Registry too.

I watched TechTV and learned from people like Leo Laport, Steve Gibson, and other computer helps shows.  Cleared most of the gimmick link like Decombobulate Steve gave us a little machine code apps that turned off the business part of the machines.  I literally had a similar setup that later became what the company later made for gaming specifically for customers who didn't want to start a home business.  All mine from Winnies 2.11 to 3.11, 98 + 98 SE, Winne XP, 64, and  7 to 10 were all converted from home business starter computers to just a gaming consoles. 

• Like 2

Food! 😋 I don't want to think about food when I drop by and look at your posts.  I already had my meals for the day.  I am allowed to have my laptop at the  hospital.  They give us a menu and we choose from the list of what we want all through the week.  I get out and go fishing, because I get sick of hospital food after a week.

Are you trying drive me mad?  If I keep seeing you posting about food I am going to have to quit visiting your chats.  I think you're trying to fatten me up? 😬  Please stop asking.

• Haha 1

We've been digging a quite large flower border for the bees. It's hard work. I wish Superman would dig it for us. While he was here he could dig an even larger one that I'd love to have. My husband hasn't cut the grass in an age because it's been so wet and he's scared of breaking the lawnmower. It's 'elastic band' breaks way too easily. So the grass is now about 30cm (12 inches) high - more in places. So, we will have to strim it. There's lots of it. It will take hours. So, today we shan't be digging (yippeee) instead, we'll be strimming (yuk!). I've tried telling my husband that my bit of the garden is the bit that doesn't need anything done to it... and his is the tall grass bit...

How close is the mod to completion, George?