STEAM & BETHESDA - Forced Update

jjb54

12 hours ago, 363rdChemicalCompany said:

What you do is set to "update only when i launch game" 

And then never use Steam to launch game, but only F4SE.

You probably already knew this so this is just in case.

Atm, finding every time I boot up my PC and run Steam, it switches back to auto updates on FO4, but no other games. Without the read only app manifest trick, people will get caught out and updated whether they want to or not...

Nowadays even phones are forced to update. If you don't update, you won't be able to watch videos on YouTube or go anywhere else you're used to. Windows also forcibly patches something endlessly. People won't have anything to pay money for if they stop creating updates. And other people too, if they stop popularizing products. All people should be understood and forgiven. But there is a way out. Huawei, Linux, old DVD warehouse. 🙂

Posted (edited)

One of the terms in the contract players enter into when they choose to mod their game is the acknowledgement that future games updates can break their game/mods.  You even get a reminder that you "use mods at your own risk" when you launch the game.  But players go ahead anyway and add mods to their game, in spite of their knowledge that they will probably wind up on the dirty end of the stick. 

So, maybe one of the folks who blame Bethesda can explain to the rest of us why accepting the responsibility for ones own decisions is so hard?  You knew/know the risk, you gambled that it wouldn't happen to you, and you lost.  How is that anybodies fault but your own?

Edited by ScytheBearer

2 hours ago, ScytheBearer said:

One of the terms in the contract players enter into when they choose to mod their game is the acknowledgement that future games updates can break their game/mods.  You even get a reminder that you "use mods at your own risk" when you launch the game.  But players go ahead anyway and add mods to their game, in spite of their knowledge that they will probably wind up on the dirty end of the stick. 

So, maybe one of the folks who blame Bethesda can explain to the rest of us why accepting the responsibility for ones own decisions is so hard?  You knew/know the risk, you gambled that it wouldn't happen to you, and you lost.  How is that anybodies fault but your own?

I dont think people are "blaming betehsda" for the mdos not working.

We all knew this would be a risk.

I think the disapointment is that the update was so bad and fixed none of the big bugs  and, according to those who play the update  (I havent) added new ones. And vandalized the game with endgame level quest/gear right out of the vault ruining the experience for new players and even old players on a new playthrough.

21 hours ago, 363rdChemicalCompany said:

I think the disapointment is that the update was so bad and fixed none of the big bugs  and, according to those who play the update  (I havent) added new ones. And vandalized the game with endgame level quest/gear right out of the vault ruining the experience for new players and even old players on a new playthrough.

Oh really.  Here is ONE example and there are plenty others if one bothers to look.

The update was designed to break the F4SE

Context follows:

I've literally gone on a MODDER Discord and tried to have this debate. They had the gall to tell me the game's stable.

Oh, and have you ever tried turning off Godrays in the options tab? Don't worry if the game turns them right back on now... it always did.

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 10:48 PM, ScytheBearer said:

On 5/11/2024 at 1:08 AM, 363rdChemicalCompany said:

I do blame Bethesda and I always will. Putting fresh lipstick on the pig is not fixing silliness such as forced exit saves, forced autosaves, forced equipment stripping, forced autorotation in load screens, forced bullet sponging, forced molerat disease, forced bad dialogue on occasion... and forced god rays when the game setup's own options tab says turning them off is better for performance.

They didn't even fix the DLC version number again. No. This was fresh pig lipstick and trying to kill the mods, yet again.

Edited by BlazeStryker
more editing