Compiling Scripts

Posted (edited)

My CK absolutely will not open the Papyrus Script Manager, although Compile Papyrus Scripts... works after a while.

But when I compile a script I made a few years ago, it will not compile and gives a FAIL error. Is this normal for a script that's already been compiled?

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Cheers!

Edit:

I deleted the contents of SOURCE, not the entire Scripts directory, and copied in the Scripts from Scripts.rar, my backed up psc scripts and manually installed SKSE.

I can now compile scripts, but the Papyrus Script Manager still will not open at all and "Compile Papyrus Scripts..." still takes 15 minutes or more to open. I might actually have to delete the CK and Scripts and re-install.

So I can use the CK for everything I need to do to complete my Alchemy mod, except compile scripts.

So I am using Skyrim Script Compiler Light from Nexus Mods for Skyrim LE in order to compile my scripts.

Tanks to all.

Cheers!

Edited by Shadeybladey
update

Posted (edited)

NO, read the error message, if you cannot understand it post here so someone can explain it to you, but it most probably is a hierarchy issue with a 'MASTER" missing....

EDIT OR it uses a mod deprecated functions that have now been retired.. in the latest versions,  dunno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

POST the ERROR message.. no one like guessing 

BTW I gave you credit for unpacking and placing the SCRIPTS correctly

Edited by PeterMartyr

I use the Papyrus Script Manager without even loading a mod... LOL if your managing existing scripts is the data folder what need have you to  load a mod? 

Edit again more detail.. are you manual modder, use Wrye, MO or Vortex..  the devil is in the details

16 hours ago, PeterMartyr said:

Edit again more detail.. are you manual modder, use Wrye, MO or Vortex..  the devil is in the details

I never use Mod Manglers, but I use the CK and sometime TES5Edit.

Papyrus Script Manager opened only once. There was an error message but I forget what it said.

But I've been making Skyrim Mods since 2012, and everything is where it's supposed to be as far as I know, unless they changed something in the last few years. I have never uninstalled or reinstalled the game, but I did move it to a new SSD a few years ago.

There can be no missing Masters.

The scripts are in:

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\scripts

I'll try again, see what happens.

Cheers!

Nah, I just tried it and it absolutely will not launch.

First attempt, I get an hour glass mouse icon for less than 2 seconds, then nothing. Further attempts don't even show an hour glass.

Shut it down, relaunch CK, same thing.

"Compile Papyrus scripts..." will launch, but it takes 20 seconds.

But "Papyrus Script Manager" will not launch at all and there is no error message.

Would verifying game files help? I have copies of my cleaned Masters in a separate directory, as otherwise Steam will overwrite them.

Cheers!

17 hours ago, PeterMartyr said:

I use the Papyrus Script Manager without even loading a mod..

Well, I verified the CK installation and there was one "files" missing, and was reacquired.

But the Script Manager absolutely will not load at all, <2 sec hour glass, No Error message.

Compile Papyrus Scripts loads after 20 seconds, but all scripts I tried have a status of "Failed" after compiling.

baby steps, post the compiler error message, open the Mod in the creation kit, forget about the "Papyrus Script Manager" and "Compile Papyrus Scripts",  for the moment, which truthfully I rarely use, I have Sublime Text 4 set up, that I use to manage and compile without the Creation Kit.

• Now I am checking to see if you unpacked the scripts rar archive correctly, also LE and SE have different directories regarding Script and Source folders, pay attention to it, also post what version of the game you are using.
  • Papyrus Script Manager: 20 seconds eh? geez you got a slow PC but that is normal, try using the Filter to speed thing up.
  • Compile Papyrus Scripts: should take even longer than Papyrus Script Manager to open as well, your only problem so far is a slow PC
  • Guessing that mean Legendary Edition (best guess)

Confirm or Deny the Data/ Scripts/Source folder has  10,000 psc files

20 hours ago, PeterMartyr said:

baby steps, post the compiler error message,

I just says "Uncompiled..."

and then

"Failed"

• Now I am checking to see if you unpacked the scripts rar archive correctly, also LE and SE have different directories regarding Script and Source folders, pay attention to it, also post what version of the game you are using.

I am using LE with the original DLCs. I could get SE free but I would need to update my own mods and convert them first. I did not unpack any Scripts.rar, I just verified the CK files and edited the ini to let me load multiple masters again. I've been using the CK since it was first released.

• Papyrus Script Manager: 20 seconds eh? geez you got a slow PC but that is normal, try using the Filter to speed thing up.

No, the compiler takes 20 seconds to open. Papyrus Script Manager does not open at all, it shows an hourglass for 2 seconds, then nothing. Repeated attempts does not even get me an hourglass

Confirm or Deny the Data/ Scripts/Source folder has  10,000 psc files

The Scripts folder has 15,053 items, including the contents of Source, the three DLC and a couple of directories for mod scripts.

Scripts itself has 757 items, 755 *.pex files.

Source has 14,271.

But the CK worked perfectly well until recently.

A few things to try:

Unzipping the Scripts.rar file again.

Make sure the compiler is in the right folder Skyrim\Papyrus Compiler\PapyrusCompiler.exe

Check the [Papyrus] section in the SkyrimEditor.ini 

I only use the Creation Kit to edit and compile scripts when absolutely necessary, i.e working with quest or dialogue fragments. 

Otherwise for editing and compiling scripts, I use
Visual Studio Code with 3 extensions
Joel Day's Papyrus Extension for code intellisense and other features,
Scrivener07's Papyrus Code Extension for syntax highlighting and,
Skyrim Script Compiler, my own extension for compiling scripts.

Re-installing the creation kit might also fix the issue.

3 hours ago, dylbill said:

A few things to try:

Unzipping the Scripts.rar file again.

Well, I think some of them have been corrected over the years by other modders, so I'm a little reluctant to do that and then try and fix them all over again. That will be my last resort.

Make sure the compiler is in the right folder Skyrim\Papyrus Compiler\PapyrusCompiler.exe

Yes, it's in C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Papyrus Compiler

Check the [Papyrus] section in the SkyrimEditor.ini 

Check it for what? I already edited it to allow multiple masters, but that section says:

[Papyrus]
sScriptSourceFolder = "Data\Scripts\Source"
sScriptCompiledFolder = "Data\Scripts\"
sCompilerFolder = "Papyrus Compiler\"
bPerforceEnabled = 0
iMinMemoryPageSize = 128
iMaxMemoryPageSize = 512
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes = 76800  ;75kb

Re-installing the creation kit might also fix the issue.

Well, I already verified the files. Are you suggesting I should uninstall it and download it again?

My C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\scripts\Source has over 10,500 items. Should it be no more than 10,000 as seems to have been implied? There's probably a lot of old scripts from mods I no longer use, and I assume I can remove the *.pcm files if I am not going to use them. All my own Mod assets and scripts start with _shb_, so they are easy to find.

Thanks for those links, by the way.

Cheers!