Elder Scrolls Lore: Is a Daedric Prince temporarily weaker in another plane of oblivion that doesn't fall under his control?

I really don't know that. Can a Daedric Prince "invade" another plane of oblivion that isn't his or her own plane? Can Vaermina enter Sheogorath's realm at her discretion, or can Mehrunes Dagon visit Boethia's plane of oblivion without his consent? And if he can do that, is the visiting Prince weaker or does he retain his full godhood? And how weak is he? Can he only keep his immortality as every lesser daedra or can he pull back more abilities than that?

(try to provide proof).

• Like 1

They can enter each others planes, but are subject to the will of that areas "owner" - and such an intrusion would be noticed anyway, so trying some ploy to sneak in wouldn't work. (Example, look at Mora appearing as soon as you enter Apocrypha). I would guess at them being able to pre-emptively exclude each other as well if they wished to.

So, if Mehrunes Dagon stepped over into Boethiah's realm, Boethiah could just say "Not happening" and remove him. The same in reverse, Dagon could throw Boethiah from his own realm.

As for their powers, same deal - they'd be able to use whatever the "host" allowed and nothing more.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, TheVampireDante said:

They can enter each others planes, but are subject to the will of that areas "owner" - and such an intrusion would be noticed anyway, so trying some ploy to sneak in wouldn't work. (Example, look at Mora appearing as soon as you enter Apocrypha). I would guess at them being able to pre-emptively exclude each other as well if they wished to.

So, if Mehrunes Dagon stepped over into Boethiah's realm, Boethiah could just say "Not happening" and remove him. The same in reverse, Dagon could throw Boethiah from his own realm.

As for their powers, same deal - they'd be able to use whatever the "host" allowed and nothing more.

Hm, hm. I have thought about this theory as well, and it makes the most sense. But I couldn't find anything canonical to ground it. Mora appearing as soon as you go into Apocrypha, in Skyrim, could hint at that. Boethia also talks to you as soon as you get into his special variant of the oblivion plane to fight the chosen. These are suggestions and while they are somewhat sufficient, I think nothing more explicit or detailed was ever stated.

I have also speculated - with some evidence - a new interpretation on what might be the Princes' godhood limits in another thread. Sensing space in a sort of connection between their being and the plane they rule as you said is plausible, even within the more limited power scope I thought for them.

Edited by gabrielrock19

Makes sense. They are strangely uninterested in each other really. There's the dependence on artifacts of Kynareth and Zenithar in Knights of the Nine where a close relationship is implied regarding the reliance of the one on the other but as for the others, they seem extremely self-absorbed and self contained. It's difficult to envisage them gathering somewhere as the ancient Greek gods do... 

There is mention of Clavicus Vile being weakened by the banishment of Barbas and thus not being able to manifest further than his shrines so they definitely can be weakened... Not sure if that helps you though...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zixi said:

Makes sense. They are strangely uninterested in each other really. There's the dependence on artifacts of Kynareth and Zenithar in Knights of the Nine where a close relationship is implied regarding the reliance of the one on the other but as for the others, they seem extremely self-absorbed and self contained. It's difficult to envisage them gathering somewhere as the ancient Greek gods do... 

There is mention of Clavicus Vile being weakened by the banishment of Barbas and thus not being able to manifest further than his shrines so they definitely can be weakened... Not sure if that helps you though...

Did you see the thread I linked on my previous post? What do you think of it?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, gabrielrock19 said:

What do you think of it

Not sure. I'll think on it. The problem with books in Tamriel is the same problem in RL that sometimes they're opinions not much based on 'fact' or 'research'... so someone else can come along and contradict. The author doesn't give any evidence for their opinions. 

I've been thinking of other cases where someone has entered a different realm. Durnehviir is weakened by being in the Soul Cairn in that he is unable to return to Tamriel. The hero ditto unless they're a vampire. However, apparently Dagon was able to enter the realm of a now forgotten daedric prince and destroy him and much of the realm. See this here on the subject of Deadlight. https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Mehrunes_Dagon  But again, it's legend and I'm never quite sure how much we're supposed to take it as the truth...

It's a very interesting question. I'm not sure that a definitive answer is out there but it's certainly interesting discussion... I'll continue thinking! 🤔