Completely wiping FO4 and doing a fresh install without losing my "downloaded" mods?

Go to solution Solved by showler,

Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
AMD Ryzen 9
128 GB DDR4
Nvidia RTX 4070
STEAM Purchased Fallout 4 and ALL DLC/EXPANSIONS

I am afraid that what I am trying to do is not possible but I am not sure how to phrase it in search because it keeps coming up no results. I have approx 100+ mods downloaded inside vortex for Fallout. I had some issues with mods installed outside of vortex that have caused corruption, frame rate issues etc. Is it possible to do the following without losing all the mods I have downloaded already?

• Uninstall but not delete from the SSD, all the mods from the game so Vortex doesn't think there are any installed yet.
  • Completely wipe out all settings, tools, or management that Vortex currently has for Fallout 4
  • Finally, perform a "Clean install" (uninstall from Steam --> fully erasing the fallout folder in both SteamApps and MyGames -> then fresh install through Steam) then get vortex to take back control of the game and have all the mods I originally downloaded show back up as available to be installed without having to re-download all off them?

I hope this makes sense, I am trying to be as descriptive but brief as I can. Thank you in advance for any help. I really do appreciate it.

• Solution

Sure.  Just don't select any options to "delete archive" that might come up and make sure you don't delete the downloads folder.

You might want to double-check to make sure your download folder isn't in the "Appdata" folder.

3 minutes ago, showler said:

Sure.  Just don't select any options to "delete archive" that might come up and make sure you don't delete the downloads folder.

You might want to double-check to make sure your download folder isn't in the "Appdata" folder.

I have a different drive for the OS and games. I thought the downloads folder was a temp storage while it moved the mods to the game folder. It looks like all my mods that were from Nexus and not external sources are all in that folder. I made a custom directory for Vortex Downloads when I initially setup the client. So this may actually be way easier than I was thinking it would be. Assuming that Vortex won't just empty that folder when it detects that Fallout 4 is no longer installed, it sounds like I can just remove the mods through vortex, do the full wipe and clean install then load vortex again and just go through the initial setup. Then when it is all configured, the downloaded mods will just essentially show back up in the list and be ready for reinstalling?

If that is the case then I may have been over thinking this. I figured it would erase everything when it saw Fallout 4 wasn't installed anymore. This is great news!

Thank you!