Why does it look so empty?

Saren475

RogueZepher-6248318_3440_1440.jpg

So I've been running into two issues.

Firstly, no matter what I do, I cannot seem to get a depth of field working. Neither the basegame DoF works nor any mod's DoF. I've fiddled with the ENB that I use and even went into the FalloutPrefs folder to enable it. I use PRC as my ENB and I'm running F4SE version 1.10.163. 

Secondly, it feels like my LOD isn't working properly, I don't feel like it should look that barren at that distance. Could it be my object quality at distance being off?

I have been modding for years, but I'm not too technically savvy with knowing what settings are optimal. 

My Specs;

Nvidia RTX 4070 TI, 64 GB Ram, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70 GHz, currently installed on my 2 TB disk drive(My SSD is nearly full), 3096 x 1444 144Hz Monitor at 21:9 Aspect Ratio.

TBH, that is an area where literally the only things you would see are on your screen.

Try the same thing from the top of say Greenetech Genetics - where you can literally see for miles.

Untitled.png?ex=66888483&is=66873303&hm=

image.png?ex=6688878c&is=6687360c&hm=fa4

So maybe this is how it's supposed to render at this distance, and it just should be masked by DoF. I don't really know if something is wrong, but I don't feel like I should be able to see these low texture ground this close to me as is.

Posted (edited)

I have no idea how DoF is affected by 3rd person view - where the camera is positioned well, well behind you.

Added:  I mean essentially most of your screen should be blurred by that camera position.

Edited by fraquar

All of this is the case in first and third person. I think it's two issues specifically, 

My render distance is shot I think, possibly by a mod, I have no idea. But I get 60fps generally, but when I move forward every 2-3 minutes or so my game hiccups and starts rendering things within my vicinity well within what should be the DoF zone. 

My other issue is that I simply don't have any Depth of Field, even if I toggle my ENB on or Off, use separate mods like Dynamvision, or even overriding DoF in my ini prefs file.

BTW I used the tfc command to back away from my character in third person.

Posted (edited)

I avoid DoF like the plague, it makes my old eyes go nuts, so I have no knowledge in that regard.

The hiccups every 2-3min, do you get it everywhere, inside, outside, downtown, out on the "countryside"?

I did take a couple of screenshots from roughly the same places as you, and apart from some graphics mods and LODs, not that different? (3840x2160, 60fps)

(Sorry for the "text" links, I have some nonsense in my browser so posting images doesn't work correctly).

https://imgur.com/njyvNrm

https://imgur.com/GR6QOFv

Edited by DjinnKiller

I can see that fog/haze obscuring your distant landscape, my game doesn't have that. Maybe that's what it needs to make the landscape look less harsh.

The hiccups happen only in the open world. 

DOF and motion blur in a video game is somewhat paradoxical. The problem is both of these are based on focal point and the game can not control the mismatch between the camera and your eyes focal points. In the game you are able to observe directly a phenomena that only occurs in your periphery in the real world. The moment one changes the focal point it recedes into the periphery. The game trying to simulate what the human eye does naturally is and exercise in futility. I disable both of them because they do not work as intended and never will without an FOV of 170 and head tracking.

I don't feel like what you've explained had any answer to the problem that I'm having. I don't have any Depth of field(Seemingly disabled?) and I don't have any motion blur(Turned off). The only depth of field that seems to do anything is my ENB's depth of field, which doesn't work how I'd want it to while playing. I can clearly see that the Fallout 4 at its core naturally displays a "fog" at the distance where in-game objects become low quality, which lessens the harshness of seeing them. Without that fog all of these buildings and terrain appear harsh and unappealing, which is what I'm running into. My intention is to capture screenshots, but I don't feel like that's worthwhile given the state of my Fallout's environment. Between the lack of any DoF(Try as I might to enable it), and the low quality buildings and landscape rendering  far closer than what I feel is reasonable, I find myself at a complete loss.

Posted (edited)

I use a (console) command to disable the fog, because I wanted to have a clear view all over the world. It looks exactly like on your image. The command is "setfog 1 0". This sets the fog radius to 0. I added this as a start command in my Fallout4.ini. Perhaps you will find a similar entry in your Fallout4.ini or Fallout4Custom.ini and delete it. If not you can open the console in game and type in "setfog 1 99999" (you can try more 9s if you want to). If this works for you you can add this as a start command in the Fallout4.ini. In case you really want a DoF you could use reshade and try the different DoF shaders you can get for it. At best you also get display depth and look how to use it for best results.

Edited by subaverage