I love modding but i do not find playing games much entertaining anymore

seweryn

So i love to modding games, not only skyrim but all of my games.

I spend hours, even days, to mod a game properly.

I love to search modding sites, making sure everything works with each other, search for nice-looking images and to create portraits for my RPGs.

Unfortunately, when I get into a game and everything works fine I get quickly bored.

I wonder where all this is coming from.

I get a similar thing with buying pc hardware, i spend days searching for specific gpu which wouldn't cost too much, was good enough quality, etc.

When i get it i just put it on the shelf, i couldn't be bothered with installing it.

It is like when everything works fine and works i get bored. When everything doesn't i get excited and try to fix it and that is what brings me joy.

Is everything ok with me?

In the past, i had enjoyment of playing games and modding was just something that could improve my experience with the game.

Nowadays, playing games is simply boring.

Has anyone had similar experiences or have any advice on how to rekindle my love for games?

Thanks for the reply in advance,

Cheers,

I think that's normal. Most games are only interesting for the story the first time through. Games like Sniper Elite, Fallout, Skyrim, Bannerlord, Mafia 3, Assassin's Creed, Cyberpunk 2077, etc. are fantastic for the story the first time. But after that there are only two reasons to continue playing:

a) Mods which add captivating player made stories (such as Nuka Ride, Commonwealth Slavers and Problems of Survivor in Fallout 4), or

b) the gameplay itself.

For instance, with Mount & Blade 2 Bannerlord I was captivated for around 1000 hours simply riding around taking over castles and fighting armies in third person huge battles. It wasn't the story that kept me. It was the amazing immersive experience of actually being in huge medieval battles.

With Bethesda games I mostly like exploring and sneaking and murdering (yes, murder simulator). Though Sniper Elite is probably the best murder simulator game.

Because of what you describe, though, seweryn, it might be good for you to try something completely new for a while. After that you can go back to repeating old favorites for their playstyle.

For instance, XCOM 2 War of the Chosen, Bannerlord, Sniper Elite 5, Black Desert Online, Red Dead Online, Dead by Daylight, Horizon Zero Dawn (or its sequel), and countless other games may be sufficiently different than stuff you normally play to be worth trying, unless you've already played all those.

1 hour ago, Karna5 said:

I think that's normal. Most games are only interesting for the story the first time through. Games like Sniper Elite, Fallout, Skyrim, Bannerlord, Mafia 3, Assassin's Creed, Cyberpunk 2077, etc. are fantastic for the story the first time. But after that there are only two reasons to continue playing:

a) Mods which add captivating player made stories (such as Nuka Ride, Commonwealth Slavers and Problems of Survivor in Fallout 4), or

b) the gameplay itself.

For instance, with Mount & Blade 2 Bannerlord I was captivated for around 1000 hours simply riding around taking over castles and fighting armies in third person huge battles. It wasn't the story that kept me. It was the amazing immersive experience of actually being in huge medieval battles.

With Bethesda games I mostly like exploring and sneaking and murdering (yes, murder simulator). Though Sniper Elite is probably the best murder simulator game.

Because of what you describe, though, seweryn, it might be good for you to try something completely new for a while. After that you can go back to repeating old favorites for their playstyle.

For instance, XCOM 2 War of the Chosen, Bannerlord, Sniper Elite 5, Black Desert Online, Red Dead Online, Dead by Daylight, Horizon Zero Dawn (or its sequel), and countless other games may be sufficiently different than stuff you normally play to be worth trying, unless you've already played all those.

I could mod oblivion for countless and play it for hours upon hours but i was much younger back then.

When it comes to games i just do not like turn-based combat when it comes to tactical games and RPGs.

Black desert - too much stuff on the screen. Red dead redemption - not a fan of wild west. I played dead island, dying light not to mention walking dead series - i do not want to see another zombie in my gaming life. I cannot play shooters, i get too exited, too much adrenaline aka do not want go into details here but it is not good for my brain/health. Bannerlords not really fan of it since i play a lot of warband from time to time. Horizon zero dawn - look fun ; i really need upgrade to windows 10 but i hate tiles theme menu, constant system updates that can break many things, telemetry, etc. Not really fond of windows 10 or 11. My mother uses windows 10 so i know how it works. My dear friends has windows 11, he always complains about it, saying system back then were better. I am considering linux but i am really fond of it either.

9 hours ago, Karna5 said:

a) Mods which add captivating player made stories (such as Nuka Ride, Commonwealth Slavers and Problems of Survivor in Fallout 4)

Yep, thats exactly the reason I always come back to skyrim and FO4 - they can be modded to a degree, where you are able to make your own stories. (and somehow for me, that never gets old^^).
Nowadays I spend more time modding the game, than playing because of time management: I can get stuff done in small bursts when modding, but playing for hours uninterrupted is rarely possible for me.

• Like 1