Vortex not detecting Starfield, and Starfield not showing in unmanaged games to add it.

ElainCorrine

Ok so I have 2 SSD's I have games installed on. Steam is installed on the A drive, some steam games are installed on the C drive, Starfield being one of them. However, NONE of my games (except BG3) are being detected by Vortex (and they used to be detected). I've done a full removal of Vortex, including deleting all Blacktree Gaming and Vortex folders, deleting the %appdata% stuff etc, then rebooted my computer and did a fresh clean install of Vortex. Problem is Vortex says it only supports 83 games and none of my games are in that list except BG3, which is installed on the A drive. Starfield, on the C drive, as well as 2 other games that vortex (Horizon Zero Dawn and HFW) supports, are simply NOT being shown as available to manage by Vortex. It's literally like vortex simply didn't scan my drives for games (which is why removing the scan tool is fubar). Any advice/help here? I'd love to mod starfield using vortex, but if I have too, I'll do it manually, I'd just prefer not to have to do that much work for the stuff I want to install into Starfield.

IF it was still labeled as "A" when things were in stalled, and you just changed the drive letter.... none of the registry settings will be correct.... Doing that kind of thing really annoys windows. 😄

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, HeyYou said:

IF it was still labeled as "A" when things were in stalled, and you just changed the drive letter.... none of the registry settings will be correct.... Doing that kind of thing really annoys windows. 😄

It's been that way since it was installed 2 years ago. Vortex had no issues seeing games on C or A, and ran just fine. I recently re-installed Starfield because of that, went looking for the mods I had used before only to discover Vortex no longer see's Starfield at all, and Starfield is installed on the C drive, along with Vortex. BG3 is on A, HZD and HFW are on C as well. Even after a full removal and clean install, Vortex just isn't seeing any games on C, but it has no problem seeing BG3 on A, though when I originally installed BG3 it was on C. I removed it (BG3) and reinstalled it after a mod I tried to make for it fubared the game so bad it had to be redownloaded.... yeah.. it didn't end well lol. Just seems to me that Vortex is simply NOT scanning my computer like it is implied to do, to find games installed on it, and w/o the ability to do a manual scan, I can't seem to find any way to get Vortex to find or recognize my games. It's frustrating to say the least. I mean, I can manually install the mods for Starfield, but I'd prefer to one click and go. I'll manually mod it if I have to though. Just hoping someone else may have experienced this and could whisper their voodoo in my ear.

Edited by ElainCorrine

https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Adding_a_new_game_to_Vortex

Isn't there a manual exe addition in vortex options ? It just has to scan your whole computer ? This manual feature must be at least hidden somewhere for troubleshooting.

The wiki says to adress your problem directly to the vortex team.

My game is installed but hasn't been detected

You may have a version of the game we've not encountered before, please use the "Send Feedback" option inside Vortex to let us know about it. Please ensure you tell us where you purchased the game from and what localisation you are using.

I don't have vortex but apparently no one is able to provide you with a solution here.

If it doesn't work either, you could try to uninstall starfield, clean your old misleading registry entries with a tool like CCleaner, and reinstall Starfield afterwards, and see if vortex can make his scan correctly this time.

If you try this , the relevant operation to do that in CCleaner is 1- go to 'Tools' section ; 2- 'Registry' sub-section -> check for errors -> repair all errors

Clean install, launch vortex and see if the scan works.