Anyone else having steam issues? (yes, I know this is skyrim SE)

anjenthedog

Windows just (auto) installed a "cumulative" update overnight. Steam now refuses to load properly.

this one >>  2024-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5044273)

Is anyone else experiencing a similar same lockup of steam?

Steam executable and service instance are still running, along with a bunch of child processes but no icon in tray

I tried kill it and then reboot steam, but it went through its regular "updating" thing then the client window that normally pops up did so, but with a spinny Steam icon as the only background (instead of game announcements and such) and sitll no icon in the widget tray.

Have put in a help request at Steam but in the meantime

Stumped...

I had an issue a week or so back where I tried to start up skyrim and got the popup saying Steam must be running so I clicked to start Steam. It started to load but just kept on and on. I made the mistake of uninstalling steam intending to redownload it. I did not realize I would also have to redownload all my steam games as they were no longer recognized. I'm still in the process of trying to get everything back.  My Civ games are back up but Skyrim LE and AE not yet. What a mess.

• Like 1

Yah. I was tempted (for a brief moment) to reinstall but fortunately chose not to. Still  isn't loading properly, but at least I didn't make things worse.

thanks for the reply.

1 hour ago, 7531Leonidas said:

I am not seeing problems after this week's WU, running W10 and SE v. 1.6.640.

Thanks for the reply. So likely not the windows 10 update itself. SE version shouldn't matter though (I run 1.5.97 fwiw), as it's steam that's not loading up fully, (which of course prevents Skyrim SE from loading)

Not so sure about that, I ran my game two nights ago with no issues, and when exiting my pc said it was update time.

Next day it was a crash fest reminiscent of the old NASCAR days, CTD as soon as the load screen cleared.

I’m still fighting this mess even though I’ve not downloaded or changed any mods in weeks.