Console Command - Fast Travel in a stuck place. What would you do?

Daelyn

Okay, so I am using the mod Thieves Guild Alternate Endings. In Bronze Water Cave, which is where you speak to Karliah right after Mercer was killed, and you had to swim to the top and out of the water filling cavern, but whenever I try to use the exit, after speaking to Karliah, I get half a second of seeing the loading screen and then get a CTD. I have tried this around ten times now, and it always happens. I logged a bug report for Anbeegod, the mod creator, and he said to disable his mod, then try it and see if I can then exit the cave without a CTD. But I no longer have the save right there.

Well, I do have the save right before going into that Dwemer Ruin, and my game seems pretty stable so far with that, being level 57, but before Anbeegod responded, I decided to use the console command - player.moveto <NPCrefID> and I chose to teleport to Jarl Balgruuf over in Whiterun. All seemed to be going okay, until I went into Warmaidens to sell some loot, and when I tried to leave, I got an infinate loading screen. This was replicated around 4 or 5 times, and always the same thing, but only after I sold items to the merchant inside there. 

I'm concerned that using this latest save now will have corrupted or generally messed up things in my game. Is this a known issue with using this console command? Should I restart the dungeon run from that previous save, get to the end and disable the Thieves Guild Alternate Endings if I still get the CTD when trying to leave?

What would you do? I'm thinking I should restart it that dungeon, even though it took around an hour or so. 

That’s probably your easiest and safest bet, and do not delete that clean save for at least a few days once you clear the quest just to be on the safe side, and once doing the quest save often and delete the corrupted saves as soon as you clear the quest.

Failing that, and if your old save does the same thing, rather than console command teleporting, try disabling collision and ghost your way out.

Did your game crash after being in the cave exit where you talk to Karliah, or after she gave you the bow?

And as you found out, console commands are tricky, sometimes they are a godsend, other times a curse that will rear its ugly head later on.

Also, do hard saves often, do not depend on auto saves.

1 hour ago, Gunslinger808 said:

That’s probably your easiest and safest bet, and do not delete that clean save for at least a few days once you clear the quest just to be on the safe side, and once doing the quest save often and delete the corrupted saves as soon as you clear the quest.

Failing that, and if your old save does the same thing, rather than console command teleporting, try disabling collision and ghost your way out.

Did your game crash after being in the cave exit where you talk to Karliah, or after she gave you the bow?

And as you found out, console commands are tricky, sometimes they are a godsend, other times a curse that will rear its ugly head later on.

Also, do hard saves often, do not depend on auto saves.

Yes, it was after she gives the bow, and all the options to say to her have been done, and the only thing left to do is to leave. I just don't want to mess up my really long game I have going. So it seems like I'll have to redo that dungeon, and then try to leave the cave, and if it doesn't work, I'll try to disable the mod to see if it's responsible, and after that, I guess disable collision. Can you ghost to a loading point? I've never tried that. 

But that's the thing, the cave exit that you are supposed to take is right there and not blocked, but for some reason only causes a CTD. To ghost through the walls only makes sense to go back the way I got in there. Down through the water and past the door that becomes blocked after you go into the cavern with the Falmer Statue, to confront Mercer Frey. So I'd need to go backwards to get out that way.