Advice on creating a "fetch" quest

MrPebbles1961

I've looked several places online and in the game and in other mods, to figure out how to create a very short "fetch" quest for my player home, but nothing I found addressed the way in which I wanted the quest to proceed.

Essentially the process is:

1. Player finds the entrance to an abandoned home that requires a keycard to access.
2. There's a holodisk placed outside the entrance.
3. Player takes holodisk (and hopefully reads it) for clues.
4. Quest starts.
5. Stage 10: Sends player to "X" to search for clues as to the location of the keycard.
6. Player goes to "X" and finds the keycard in the inventory of a dead NPC.
7. Stage 20: Sends the player back to the home to unlock the entrance.
8. Player returns to the entrance and unlocks the home.
9. Stage 30: Welcomes player to their new home.
10. Quest ends.

Both of the tutorials I looked at relied on dialog with NPCs, which doesn't work for me here, but gave me a somewhat better understanding of how the process is done. What I'm confused by is whether or not I need a separate script for something this simple, or can it be done entirely using Conditions and Result Scripts in the Quest window?

So far I've got bits and pieces of it here:

1. Player takes holodisk. This triggers quest Stage 10:

GetPlayerHasNote GVHVaultHomeMsgHolodisk == 1    ; Use condition for this?
      SetStage GVHFindBunkerKeycardQUEST  20

2. Player takes keycard from dead NPC. This triggers quest Stage 20:

if Player.GetItemCount GVHVaultHomeMsgHolodisk == 1   ;Condition?
      SetStage GVHFindBunkerKeycardQUEST  20

3. Player unlocks entrance to home. This triggers quest Stage 30/completes quest:

if door GVHExteriorAccessHatch is in state "unlocked"    ;is there something that can determine this?
      SetStage GVHFindBunkerKeycardQUEST  30

Am I on the right track here? Any advice on the conditions/result scripts I need to make this work?

Add a script to the holodisk with an OnAdd block that sets the quest stage. Give the keycard a similar script.

For the door, use an OnActivate script and check GetLocked==0 to set the final quest stage.

Make sure that the final quest stage completes the quest.

If you make the holodisk and the keycard quest items then you don't need to worry about the player dropping them and picking them up again which would re-trigger the OnAdd script to set the quest stages. Alternately, you can check and set variables in your quest to prevent the quest stages from being re-triggered.

• Thanks 1

Misc item with that onADD block to add (same name) NOTE thus set quest stage. Also, misc item will be destroyed upon entering your inventory (reference how the box of primer did it). THAT way the misc item is nearly unique and you dont have to fear dropping it, then picking it up again.

Edited by laclongquan
  • Thanks 1

Directtions in the tab Quest Objective, fourth tab. Go to the cave cell

1. Right click in the Objective index and make a new, set it to the same as your queststage, well 20.
  2. Click index 20 and type: Locate the Brotherhood Knight
  3. Go inside the cave where the bodies is located, well now you must set them Persistent, which you check in the reference window of the body, under the coordinates for the ref, also name the reference as that is something that not many do really, which irritates me some, specially when Bethesda do not name any of their persistent references, well a few, and I do think about X and map markers here, which all should be named.
  4. Click at the box Select reference in Render Window. The Cross you get, is red as long as the target is NOT persistent and when it turns white, double click at the target, your dead body.
  5. You can also make a new Quest Objective for the stage 30 where the player will get back to the Vault, which always is nice, even if they now know where it is.

As you already know, the dead bodies did disappear before I entered the cave last night, because they where not persistent. The reason was the new spawns of dogs I guess?  Who knows?   It is just a simple checkbox to click, not much work, hard  or advanced in any way.