⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

into the future or back to the past

kvnchrist

time travel is really bad for the following reasons

1. You can't spend any money

2. You can't predict in what way the changes you make to the past will affect the future

3. You can't have any sex in the past

4. If you travel to the future you will be a an uptight puritan surrounded by metrosexual hippies

5. If you travel to the past you will be a metrosexual hippie surounded by uptight puritans

6. If you travel to the future you will die of all the deadly diseases the people in the future have vaccinated

7. If you travel to the past you kill everybody becuase u carry all the deadly diseases you're vaccinated for

8. Grand father paradox's, nuff said

9. you can't get a job in both the past and future (and the present but thats another discussion)

10. Grammer

Future time travel is more likely to be possible than time travel into the past. If time dilation turns out to be true, you could travel into the future using advanced space traversing technology. The only problem is that if traveling into the past turns out to be impossible, then travel into the future will be a one way ticket. You gotta love the universe for having some kind of rule for each of mankind's optimistic ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

I would choose the past. Like 3000-5000BC. I would be very interested to see how they constructed the pyramids in Egypt. Another timeline that would interest me is 800-1100AD, particularly the Viking era. I'm extremely curious as to how/why they lived the way they did. Like what drove them to brave the seas the way they did, and go out into the complete unknown? What drove them to attack and raid others, when they had plenty of resources and knowledge to live fairly comfortably (relative to that time period) in Northern Europe? I can't think of many examples where a people seemingly live life by the extreme, without it being a true necessity.

Based on current trends; the future really doesn't interest me that much. I would avoid visiting the future simply based on the possibility that I would lose ALL hope for humanity based on what I'd see there. I don't want to see WW3 and its aftermath, as well as governments becoming increasingly tyrannical. Seeing WW3, and nations that used to be free turned into police states, I would absolutely lose all hope for the future of humanity.

Edited by Beriallord

Future time travel is more likely to be possible than time travel into the past. If time dilation turns out to be true, you could travel into the future using advanced space traversing technology. The only problem is that if traveling into the past turns out to be impossible, then travel into the future will be a one way ticket. You gotta love the universe for having some kind of rule for each of mankind's optimistic ideas.

Yeah, time slows down the closer you get to the speed of light. So if you go to the nearest star traveling 99% of light speed, the time it takes to get there according to you might be only a few days, but years have passed for people on Earth. A trip a few light years one way, you could burn up 10+ years of Earth time just by traveling a long distance at near light speed. Of course, this poses a serious problem for anyone thinking of traveling at those speeds. Should they have family members or loved ones on Earth who will age much quicker than they will.

Lol whenever i look up History on Youtube i always seem to end up on the weird side of it. Especially with that alternative version stuff.

The past is more mysterious then the present is that's for sure.

Archaeology dating back to 10500 bc, so they claim..

Edited by Thor.

• 1 month later...

I would definitely go back to the past and remove all the literature from the Library of Alexandria before it was burned to the ground.

I wouldn't take the literature back with me to the present, but hide it in a cave for archaeologist to find... hopefully. :)

I know this wouldn't be possible but it's fun to imagine. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Like Keanu said, future travel is kind of relevant to the physics of spacetime, and past is not. So maybe a way to look at it is the past is a conception of humans due to our memories being the only artifacts experience-wise. In reality there is only movement and growth. The universe moves and grows, we do so with it. Memories are a process in the brain that develops with that growth. Maybe if you go into a black hole the singularity in the center of it would return all affected matter to another big bang and an alternate universe with new probabilities. In some weird sense you'd be a part of a new universe. Or maybe there is only one universe, that is constantly beginning and ending, and black holes are like drains in a fountain that allow some of the matter and light to get consumed and become part of the energy that is the ever expanding big bang. So time is constantly moving forward, to the past. I don't really know any theories about traveling into the past, but the best loophole we've found in time dilation is warp speed. If it was practical, we could travel anywhere in space without having to slow down time, by moving a part of space with us. At least that would save time...

Actually Einstein's work shows that time, like space, all exist at the same time. So the past, present and future are all rolling along like a constant gif. It is only are perception of it that give it the divisions. Other theoretical physicist have come to the same conclusions.

Time for these physicists was not the absolute on which Newton had based his theories. Rather, another analogy is that time is the celluloid movie on the projector. Each frame is a single moment in time. The movie plays and we see, through one spot, the movie "time" playing and unfolding before us. The past is still there...the celluloid sits on the floor or the other reel...the future before us still to be seen. All of it still exists..each tiny second here or there...seen, seeing or to be seen it exists simultaneously.

This doesn't take into consideration the entire separate reality/universe theory that is discussed above.

Just because we can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Also some theorist speculate past time travel is possible (since the math says so) but you would only be able to go to the past as far as the time machine has existed. If we made one today there would be little to see. 100 years hence...you could travel back to today but no further.