The End of the World is Nigh, We're all Doomed!!!

LordTenaim

Well-- there's a simple fact underlying all of this-- simply that all that lives must one day die. That not only applies to individuals but to tribes, civilizations, species and even the planet itself. That is simply a fact, and entirely unavoidable. So the question isn't whether or not our civilization or even our species or even the planet will die-- they absolutely will. The only pertinent question, for the purposes of this thread, is 'when?'

Modern western civilization is fast approaching a breaking point. I wouldn't presume to predict when it will fall, but I would quite comfortably stake everything I own on the prediction that it will, and that it will do so in at most not many more generations. It's simply too foul and too corrupt-- too ignorant and too easily misled-- too bloated at the top and weakened at the bottom. The politicians and powermongers and their patrons and cronies WILL pull it all down around their, and our, ears. The only-- the ONLY-- thing that might head that off is a pandemic or war or other massive loss of life, which will merely bring the collapse about in a different way.

There's simply no other choice. Our civilization was born and it has lived-- it will one day die. That's just the way of the world.

Speaking of "the world" though-- it will survive. This planet is far stronger than we are, and there's really nothing that we can do that would actually destroy it. We might well alter it to the point that it won't support us, but that just means that something else will come to dominate it. It will live on, with or without us. At least until the sun goes nova.....

I agree with the first paragraph, but I disagree with the second, which is little more than 'fashionable', anarchistic, pretentious blaming. You seem to forget that the political system as it is today, in the uk has stood for a good long while; we might get fed up with politicians, but 300 years tells us that it works.

I think that humans aren't as self destructive as we think of ourselves. In one shape or another, humans will be on the planet for a good long while yet, unless an unspecified chatastrophe such as the one that wiped out the dinosours befalls us, and even then there is a high chance of survivors. Humans are more adaptable than other species in general; I think at least some would be able to survive in a post-chatastrophe world, unless it is one that destroys the planet itself or the atmosphere.

PS: The sun is to small to go supernova. However, it would expand to a red giant and engulf us.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the first paragraph, but I disagree with the second, which is little more than 'fashionable', anarchistic, pretentious blaming.
Oooh look-- an ad hominem. Not like you see many of them online, hmm?

If you wish to dispute my analysis, feel free. Simply hanging a string of insulting characterizations on it, however, does nothing to advance your argument. I might well say that your response is little more than predictable, priggish apologism, but that would be equally without merit. Though if you compare that assertion with what you perceive to be the reality of yourself and of your opinion, you might-- just might-- gain some understanding of how shallow and offensive your response, however intended, really is.

Now then:

You seem to forget that the political system as it is today, in the uk has stood for a good long while; we might get fed up with politicians, but 300 years tells us that it works.
First, I don't "seem to forget" anything, and again, you can kindly leave your opinions of me or my reasoning abilities or the depth and breadth of my memory out of this. The opinion expressed should be the only point at issue here.

Second, 300 years is but the briefest moment in the history of the human race, which history is, itself, but the briefest moment in the history of the world. It's such a tiny sliver of time as to be essentially meaningless. And even were that not the case, the fact that something has stood for some period of time only proves that it has stood for that period of time. It in no way proves that it will continue to stand.

Though I do agree that, come what may, there's a rather good chance that at least some humans, in at least some form, will survive. We're remarkably adaptable animals.

But I maintain the opinion that our civilization will fall. I'd go so far, as I already have, as to assert categorically that, sooner or later, it must. The vast majority of civilizations that have ever existed on this planet have already fallen. It's just the way it works-- they're born, then they live, then they die.

But it's okay. I'll hold to my opinion and you're free to hold to yours. Just don't insult me because you don't agree, mmkay?

Thanks.

plasma tv´s HIGH tech computer components... heinz baked beans... marijuana and... a 2000 dollar worth real doll and then I need no stressful female company EVER AGAIN!

If you wish to dispute my analysis, feel free. Simply hanging a string of insulting characterizations on it, however, does nothing to advance your argument. I might well say that your response is little more than predictable, priggish apologism, but that would be equally without merit. Though if you compare that assertion with what you perceive to be the reality of yourself and of your opinion, you might-- just might-- gain some understanding of how shallow and offensive your response, however intended, really is.

But it's okay. I'll hold to my opinion and you're free to hold to yours. Just don't insult me because you don't agree, mmkay?

I call shenanigans. These two posters are obviously the same person.

I agree with the first paragraph, but I disagree with the second, which is little more than 'fashionable', anarchistic, pretentious blaming.

Now then:

You seem to forget that the political system as it is today, in the uk has stood for a good long while; we might get fed up with politicians, but 300 years tells us that it works.
First, I don't "seem to forget" anything, and again, you can kindly leave your opinions of me or my reasoning abilities or the depth and breadth of my memory out of this. The opinion expressed should be the only point at issue here.

Second, 300 years is but the briefest moment in the history of the human race, which history is, itself, but the briefest moment in the history of the world. It's such a tiny sliver of time as to be essentially meaningless. And even were that not the case, the fact that something has stood for some period of time only proves that it has stood for that period of time. It in no way proves that it will continue to stand.

Though I do agree that, come what may, there's a rather good chance that at least some humans, in at least some form, will survive. We're remarkably adaptable animals.

But I maintain the opinion that our civilization will fall. I'd go so far, as I already have, as to assert categorically that, sooner or later, it must. The vast majority of civilizations that have ever existed on this planet have already fallen. It's just the way it works-- they're born, then they live, then they die.

Thanks.

To say that all of Human civilization will die out just because some civilizations die is just as narrow viewed as to say something will continue to stand because for 300 years it has stood. The civilizations die, but life as we know it continues to evolve in its most 'advanced' form, and though people and political systems fail and the high in power become bloated, and those under power become repressed, does not mean that the (Human) race fails as a whole. To maintain the view that civilization falls - well as of yet one that has never fallen is pretty much unknown. However, to look at all of past civilizations and pretentiously summarize them as corrupt and foul is untrue. There is much wisdom we have gained from past civilizations as well, and there will continue to be. Will a civilization's corruption and enmity be its downfall? Will the wisdom, mistakes and teachings from it be the start of a new and better civilization?

'To say that all of Human civilization will die out just because some civilizations die is just as narrow viewed as to say something will continue to stand because for 300 years it has stood.'

I would agree, which would be at least part of the reason that I didn't say that "all of Human civilization will die out." I said that OUR civilization will FALL. It will, just as you and I and every person on the planet will someday die. That's just the way the cycle works.

'The civilizations die.....'

Which is what I said.

'.....but life as we know it continues to evolve in its most 'advanced' form, and though people and political systems fail and the high in power become bloated, and those under power become repressed, does not mean that the (Human) race fails as a whole.'

Which would be at least part of the reason that I didn't say that "the human race fails as a whole."

'To maintain the view that civilization falls - well as of yet one that has never fallen is pretty much unknown.'

Actually, all of the civilizations that currently exist on Earth have, axiomatically, not fallen. However, the number of civilizations that have existed and have fallen is almost certainly greater than the number that currently exist. The pertinent point is that virtually all of the fallen civilizations fell in much the same way, and our modern western civilization is following the same course. While it's certainly possible that it might somehow right itself and not go the way of past civilizations, it seems exceedingly doubtful that it actually will.

'However, to look at all of past civilizations and pretentiously summarize them as corrupt and foul is untrue.'

Which would be at least part of the reason that I didn't "summarize them (all of past civilizations) as corrupt and foul," "pretentiously" or otherwise.

'There is much wisdom we have gained from past civilizations as well, and there will continue to be.'

That's a fairly reasonable statement.

'Will a civilization's corruption and enmity be its downfall?'

Something will be, just as something will be the death of every living human, sooner or later. Most often, corruption and the machinations of the wealthy and powerful play a significant part, and I consider it no great stretch to theorize that those things will play a significant part in the collapse of our civilization, however, focused as people seem to be on that part of my post, that wasn't my central point. My point merely was that such a collapse is inevitable. It is.

'Will the wisdom, mistakes and teachings from it be the start of a new and better civilization?'

One can only hope.

I predict that if humans are still on earth in 1 billion years from now they will be able to send the elite off to another solar system to colonise a planet orbiting a younger star.

300 years ago the space shuttle was probably a suggestion good enough to get you burned at the stake.

Imagine what will be developed in the next 1 billion years?

Erm, Micko some of the earliest ideas of space travel come from the 1600's in some of the earliest sci-fi books. Even zero-g dates from the stuart period by one of the English sci-fi authors mentioned above. :thumbsup:

Think of the burning at the stake bit metaphorically.

We have come a long way in 300 years.

Surely if mankind survives the next million years let alone the next billion he will produce some marvellous things.

That would be assuming mankind doesn't beat itself "stupid" in the process & have to re-learn how to make & use things too often.