Could this run Oblivion efficiently?

demon69120

I just bought a copy of Oblivion for my PC, which i normally use on my Xbox360. I got kinda bored after beating the game and needed some more excitement.

Right now my PC looks like this.

CPU- Pentium® 4 CPU 3.06GHz

RAM- Dual sticks with 2GB RAM each... so i have about 4gigs

VGC- My Graphics card is a Ndivia 8500 GeForce I think...

How well would I run oblivion? I mean without lag? Also is it even good enough for texture improving packs? Probably not. :wallbash:

Btw, was wondering because I need to replace my DVD-Rom drive before I play, which costs some money. Don't want to end up doing that for a laggy game.

It's Windows XP 32 BIT SYSTEM :thanks:

Oh! And Streamline... QTP3...How does that work?... exactly?

Btw most of this stuff was passed onto me by random family members xD but a few parts from old computers, and my dad bought a part or two. Mix and match matters>

Good enough for me. Few (or many) graphics mods wont hurt, if you want it better than X360 (besides, mods are free.)

How well would I run oblivion? I mean without lag? Also is it even good enough for texture improving packs? Probably not. wallbash.gif
Well, really well. No lags probably, texture improving packs are better.
Btw, was wondering because I need to replace my DVD-Rom drive before I play, which costs some money. Don't want to end up doing that for a laggy game.
Nope, this is not console games. You INSTALL it correctly, then after that, the disc only required to play the game, but if your disc have a scratch or two, don't seems a problem. As long the disc are still readable.
It's Windows XP 32 BIT SYSTEM thanks.gif
Great, you don't need to experience the problems if you use Vista and Windows 7 (even you can fix it.)
Don't worry visit the tutorials for installing mods for that.

Like here : http://s1.zetaboards.com/TheStormRavenLibrary/

And Streamline is recommended for a smooth game (even for a great pc), then QTP3 improve all the textures. And there's a lot that improve graphics.

P.S : Since you got a 4 gigs of RAM. Use this so you can use 3 gigs for Oblivion instead of 2.

Here : http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=23254

But I don't know if it's works. Try the game without the mods above first.

Good enough for me. Few (or many) graphics mods wont hurt, if you want it better than X360 (besides, mods are free.)

How well would I run oblivion? I mean without lag? Also is it even good enough for texture improving packs? Probably not. wallbash.gif
Well, really well. No lags probably, texture improving packs are better.
Nope, this is not console games. You INSTALL it correctly, then after that, the disc only required to play the game, but if your disc have a scratch or two, don't seems a problem. As long the disc are still readable.
It's Windows XP 32 BIT SYSTEM thanks.gif
Great, you don't need to experience the problems if you use Vista and Windows 7 (even you can fix it.)
Don't worry visit the tutorials for installing mods for that.

Like here : http://s1.zetaboards.com/TheStormRavenLibrary/

And Streamline is recommended for a smooth game (even for a great pc), then QTP3 improve all the textures. And there's a lot that improve graphics.

Thanks! That was really helpful. I think I understand everything, gonna go fix my DVD-Rom Drive so I can install it :closedeyes:

First off, a DVD drive doesn't cost that much money...only if you buy it at Best Buy or Walmart...you can get a CD/DVD ROM/RW/R for $20 on newegg. If you have IDE still, it might cost a little bit more.

Okies...don't be offended lol. Your CPU is a little lacking compared to these days standards. I had a Pentium 4 back in the early 2000s lol. If your motherboard is Socket LGA775 (which I do believe is cos they been using that forever), I suggest investing in the cheapest Core 2 Duo. They are still way too expensive lol, about $120 or so I think, I don't look for those too often, I'm an AMD woman :biggrin:

You have enough RAM :) WinXP 32 bit only recognizes 3.5GB out of the 4GB because of 32 bit limitations, but you still have sufficient RAM for these days :)

Your GPU is alright. It should run Oblivion fine on medium-ish settings. An 8500GT only has 16 stream processors and a 450MHz core clock. Now yeah, I have a 7950GT, kinda old lol, but mine is still faster than yours. I have 24 stream processors and have it overclocked to 600Mhz :thumbsup: I can run Oblivion at 1600x1200 maxed settings without AA because my card doesn't support AA and HDR at the same time :verymad: Oh yeah, is it onboard, AGP, or PCI-Ex16?

QTP3 is a texture replacer that replaces the textures quadruple the size of what they are in the original game. Unless you have a very good graphics card, it's very difficult to run that smoothly. Your card would be struggling to run it lol, mine does too...

Streamline is an Oblivion optimizer. It works pretty well, but I suggest a few .ini tweaks before using Streamline. The only option I use on that is to purge cell buffers. That get rid of all the cached data that is no longer being used. After playing for awhile, a lot of stuff builds up in the cell buffers and slows down the game.

I'd say you could run Oblivion on medium-high settings with minimal lag. A dual core processor would be a huge improvement though.

Oblivion's recommended system requirements are pretty low compared to what you actually need to run the game IMHO. I met the "preferred settings" and it still doesn't run 60FPS all the time. It runs perfectly smooth, totally maxed, with 8xAA and HDR on my boyfriend's 3870 though lol

Btw guys, I NEED the disc drive to install the game and everything I said so don't comment that :blink: if I buy a new drive is it easy to put in? My dads friend always does my computer.

Ahh crap. The CPU processing is going to be that big of a deal? How much would it costs to upgrade? And it's still 3.06.

My motherboard is brand new, holds 2 sticks of RAM if that's detail.

And about it reconizing my RAM... yeah it says 3gb, my computer tech says that's the max it will show . But does the other 1gb still function?

I still have 32bit system :( and oblivion only runs 2gb of RAM nomatter what (besides 3gb mod)? The bits and all the processing is from CPU right? if I just replaced CPU I'd be set without lag?

upgrading to a dual core would be sufficient, if your motherboard supports it that is. If it's brand new, then it is probably Socket 775

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115206

this is the cheapest dual core on newegg for Core 2 Duo. You could go for a Pentium dual core, but I don't suggest buying that load of crap at all. I don't suggest buying Intel in general, but that's what you have haha.

Installing a CD drive is easy:

Turn off your computer

Open both sides of the case up

Unplug the power and data cable from the CD drive

unscrew the CD drive

It slides out easy. Then put your new one in and hook it all up. But do you have IDE (big ribbon cable) or SATA (small red cable)??

32 bit operating systems only recognize 3GB of RAM because of how 32 bit works. The other GB is not functional until you get a 64 bit OS. It's enough to run Oblivion as it is.

I suggest you get Everest www.lavalys.com

The free version will tell you a lot about your computer. What kind of motherboard you have, RAM, CPU, temperatures, etc.

If your motherboard is Socket 775 then yes, a dual core processor would be fine to run Oblivion pretty nicely.

:thanks: !

Thinking about a new CPU now. I know how to put them on my mother board and everything. But then do I need drivers ect for it? And is 64 bit a new windows version or cpu stuff? And if I replace CPU, would the dual processor last for a couple of years? I mean if I get a new one, I hope I can play improving games for a few years (at the rate of graphic improvement).

How do I purge cell buffers?

How much would 64-bit benefit me if I got a CPU like you reccomended? And since I'm already 32 bit this is probably not possible.

I might even try to upgrade my video card too since they have gotten pretty cheap.

Hha, well I have saved up about $250, $220 with a replace DVD-RW

Although, I still have 450-W power :/

This computer is actually my dad's haha, but he doesn't mcuh use it. My mom gave me her old computer, which isn't really old... but I can't get the specs yet. I might just want to get a little more money, and work towards that computer. Basicly, you seem to know stuff MUCH better than me. So I might as well ask you about this too...

If I got this pretty recent, but not gaming computer... I should get a 775 socket motherboard, one of the CPUs you showed me, Some RAM, and What kinda graphics card? I would just find it all of New egg.

What would = No lag with graphics like an xbox360

What would = No lag maxed grpahics

What would = QTP even

Ugh, I'm not smart.