computer building

taylorton147

I'd recommend building the best gaming rig you can afford (requires knowing your budget). If that rig can handle FO3, then you are good to go for FO3 and maybe even FO4.

You also need to figure out if it is going to be 32-bit hardware or 64-bit hardware....WinXP / Vista / Win7...AMD or Intel....ATI or nVidia

LHammonds

I concur with Hammonds (how did that happen? heh) - get the best you can even if that means saving for a while. Shop around. Perhaps look at the sites which build it for you from the parts you specify (that's what I did for my latest one but I wanted to spoil myself so that was over $3k).

I would also advise 64 bit since that is the way of the future, 8gb RAM and a top notch video card. You can look at the specs for my machine in my profile if that is of any help. The card I have was the top notch one THEN (which lasts for about 5 minutes as you know) but I also knew that I could eventually get a second one which would, in effect, give me four GPUs (graphics processors).

Take your time and shop around (can't stress that enough).

Good luck.

Cheers.

Nice card michlo, i have 2 the same, check out my specs in my profile, see if this is in the right price range for you.

i probably spent a good 2500$ on my machine, all in all.

I built a Phenom quad-core rig a year ago for roughly $400 that runs Fallout 3 just fine.

(The joys of Fry's Electronics and NewEgg. :D)

Given that, I think you'd have a hard time building a rig today that couldn't run Fallout 3 on fairly high settings. You'd have to commit some fundamental mistake, like foregoing a graphics card in favor of using a motherboard with some integrated junk.

Don't try and save money on the power supply, the best of systems can suffer if powered by a cheapo wonky PSU.

Very good point there. Cooling too, of course. I went with the liquid cooling on mine and I love it, I can't even hear my machine most of the time.

Nice rig you have as well there, Thor. Did you start off with the two cards or add one? I'm wondering what I'd notice once I add the second one as I already run everything at top quality with no problems so I'd expect my games to just come to life and drag me in with a second card! hehe

Cheers.