The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Not true i have a last gen ssd and its still kicking around with heavy gaming use, that claim is false.

Missed up on your reading, did you? To enlighten you...

Solid-state drives use flash memory that has limited number of P/E cycles with the last-gen approaching cca 100 000, the statement is not false, it's common knowledge actually. Look for "SSD P/E Cycles" on Google and you'll see.

And I never said my SSD died from gaming. I'm not a gamer you know, I had cca 25-50GB of transmission going through that SSD since I used it as a central data-share server with 26 computers connected to it, couple that with Windows' dumb defrag system that defragmented it every 3 days so it died quite soon.

BTW, set Windows to defragment it and you'll reduce it's lifetime by 3/4, that's what killed mine even though I explicitly told Windows not to do it. F***ing NTFS and it's crap.

that particular ssd is around 240gb at nearly the 190$ mark after taxes around 200$..

Yeah... Compare 256GB SSD for 200$ to 2TB HDD for 100$. You get 8 times more memory for half the price, the downside is speed but 50MB/s is decent when you think about it. Also, I'm not willing to pay double for something a hell of a lot smaller just so I can wait a few seconds less on the loading screen or higher data-transferring speed, it's just not worth it.

That's why I'll be getting four of those HDDs, coupled together they make 8TB and cost 400$ in total, the same cost as those two fast SSDs that have 512GB combined. With 8TB of storage memory I won't need to upgrade my hard drives for at least 5-10 years I'd say, which these things might endure with me, my HDDs live for quite long if I buy them new instead of used.

How long will it take for you to change those, software gets larger and larger every day. My estimate wold be a year or two, maybe three before 512GB is no longer enough.

And here's one of the things I learned about computers, if you spend money on new things, you'll just keep spending it. And why do you think I don't intend to get an SSD as main storage drive for a while more? Because I'll wait till they become common and buy them dirt cheap, in two to three years I might buy the same storage as you for 100$ both. That's the wonder of technology, no matter how good is the stuff you buy, there will always be better in about a month.

Edited by Werne

EhH i am indeed getting them, not right away though, i might have to wait until the end of the month though. I can't wait to finally have a quieter pc for a change, the one thing that makes the most noise is your HDD's

Edited by Thor.

the one thing that makes the most noise is your HDD's

Never had 5 rattling fans inside a case I see, try putting those in and tell me what makes most noise. I can burn a CD without hearing it spinning. ;D

Woot got multi display working in clone mode yay, receiver piping audio and video through to tv, while my monitor is main display. Took me weeks to finally figure it out :confused: :confused: :confused:

Edited by Thor.