The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Linux doesn't detect my mouse nor my keyboard.

Which mouse, keyboard and mobo? If drivers exist, I'll dig them out right quick, it's all about knowing where to look.

By the way, at least it doesn't say "Keyboard not detected! Press F1 to continue." like good old Win98 did in the initialization post. :laugh:

Sharkoon Drakonia is the mouse and Windows Sidewinder x4 is the keyboard, the motherboard is Asus M4A785TD-V EVO

The Drakonia requires the Linux kernel to be recompiled for it to work and I can't be arsed to do that every time when I update Linux distributions. Im not sure about the keyboard, its newish and i dont think i tried it yet with Linux, maybe it works maybe not, I just plugged it into the USB port and it worked instantly and perfectly on Windows without any drivers.

And yeah, I can always plug in an older more default keyboard and mouse but I dont want to really.

I'm waiting for the firepros to come down in price from there nearly 4,000$ price point :ohmy: , they put the titan to shame.

They'll never come down in price, those are workstation cards, a continuance from the FireGL workstation card lines. Those are designed to be very powerful and very stable and that's why they cost so much.

And just to mess with your mind because you were laughing at me when I switched to Linux, FirePro drivers are designed primarily for Linux graphical workstations (like for companies making 3D cartoons, you know, Pixar, Disney an so on) and because of that, a FirePro Windows driver is 43% slower than a Linux driver, making the Titan a more powerful card under Windows.

Linux gets all the good stuff in the high-power market, including fully utilized quad-socket workstation mobos (like the quad-socket Xeon with 48 physical + 48 logical cores = 96 threads ++ 1TB RAM) and quad-CrossfireX FirePro W9000 cards or Nvidia Tesla cards on them, while Windows gets the cheap mainstream stuff. :tongue:

Just comparing the card specs, i know they would never come down in price, just was shocked how similar the specs where comparing the Titan.

The Drakonia requires the Linux kernel to be recompiled for it to work

Yes, the HID_MAX_USAGES part of the kernel needs to be set either to 32000 or 64000 (13000 is default) depending on the mouse model. I had the same issue with a Trust GXT 14 mouse so I recompiled Linux 2.6 on Squeeze before I upgraded to Wheezy. That shouldn't affect a damn thing but, well, it somehow does.

I believe there were some adjustments regarding gaming mouses in Linux 3.11.2, several drivers for gaming mouses were accepted into the kernel and now most of the Sharkoon ones should work, Drakonia included. Only distributions I know of using the 3.11 kernel at the time are Arch, Gentoo, Debian Sid (as an opt-in) and *buntu 13.10 development, Fedora might be using it as well but I'm not sure.

Ubuntu 13.10 should be released somewhere this month featuring Linux 3.11 stable, if you opt for trying it out, get Kubuntu instead since it will be running Wayland and not Mir, the former is supported by everyone and the latter is supported by no one.

As for the keyboard, it'll work. The programmable keys and the media keys might be a bit wonky or not work at all though. Those are less important anyway, bottom line is the keyboard will function under Linux. Maybe the buttons I mentioned will work under Linux 3.11, I don't know, I'll keep with Linux 3.2 until Jessie jumps in the freezer.

The Drakonia requires the Linux kernel to be recompiled for it to work

Yes, the HID_MAX_USAGES part of the kernel needs to be set either to 32000 or 64000 (13000 is default) depending on the mouse model. I had the same issue with a Trust GXT 14 mouse so I recompiled Linux 2.6 on Squeeze before I upgraded to Wheezy. That shouldn't affect a damn thing but, well, it somehow does.

I believe there were some adjustments regarding gaming mouses in Linux 3.11.2, several drivers for gaming mouses were accepted into the kernel and now most of the Sharkoon ones should work, Drakonia included. Only distributions I know of using the 3.11 kernel at the time are Arch, Gentoo, Debian Sid (as an opt-in) and *buntu 13.10 development, Fedora might be using it as well but I'm not sure.

Ubuntu 13.10 should be released somewhere this month featuring Linux 3.11 stable, if you opt for trying it out, get Kubuntu instead since it will be running Wayland and not Mir, the former is supported by everyone and the latter is supported by no one.

As for the keyboard, it'll work. The programmable keys and the media keys might be a bit wonky or not work at all though. Those are less important anyway, bottom line is the keyboard will function under Linux. Maybe the buttons I mentioned will work under Linux 3.11, I don't know, I'll keep with Linux 3.2 until Jessie jumps in the freezer.

Thanks for the explanation.

The programmable keys work without drivers usually, but either way I wont die because of them. I only use one media button for play/pause.

I was waiting for 13.4, but never got to try it out because I didn't have time. And most likely I won't have time for 13.10 either. I'll see.

I was waiting for 13.4, but never got to try it out because I didn't have time. And most likely I won't have time for 13.10 either. I'll see.

Not much different than 12.04 and 12.10 actually, Unity looks a bit fancier, it supports more hardware, and that's about it. Absolutely nothing worth noting, except for the xMir display server that switches to X after installing drivers (there will be no X in 14.04 and beyond, only Mir), Wayland will at least be supported by AMD/Nvidia/Intel drivers which is why I prefer Kubuntu when it comes to *buntus.

Meh, all of that display server stuff is crap, I'll stay with Debian. Judging by the fact that Debian is an oldtimer, I'll be using X for a long, long time. :smile:

By the way guys, here's something I just learned. If HDD noise annoys you, get a Sharkoon Vibe-fixer 3. I got it for a hard drive that was really getting on my nerves, a dual-head 1TB Hitachi that sounded like a freakin' excavator when it's working, it even shook my table like there's an earthquake (and what's the worst, I'm not kidding). After I put it in that vibe-fixer, it's completely silent. :dance:

Edited by Werne

By the way guys, here's something I just learned. If HDD noise annoys you, get a Sharkoon Vibe-fixer 3. I got it for a hard drive that was really getting on my nerves, a dual-head 1TB Hitachi that sounded like a freakin' excavator when it's working, it even shook my table like there's an earthquake (and what's the worst, I'm not kidding). After I put it in that vibe-fixer, it's completely silent. :dance:

I'm pretty sure we got the same HDD. I'll try this thing out maybe.

My biggest problem is my CPU though. I can hear it through noise cancelling headphones like I'm wearing none. I'm pretty sure it's dust and it needs to be cleaned properly, as soon as I open the window and a bit of cool air blows near it, it goes silent.

Thats it, its final. i cancelled my ps4 collectors edition for the pc version of watch dogs,, them touting 30fps as next gen pissed me off. So i did the next best thing and upgraded to the pc version.

If developers won't push the ps4, then its pc it is. Thats one great thing about next gen, for each ps4 game there will be a pc version.

Pc the master race will always be better.

Especially gives me the reason to upgrade to a Nvidia titan next year, lol amd is losing its touch these days with their low end apus.

Power is all i care about and efficiency

Edited by Thor.