The last poster wins

TheCalliton

As she tried to cast the spell the room stayed quiet. Nothing happened. Nothing except me getting the feeling I was needed. I needed sleep, and so did we all, but the excitement I knew was creeping up to my door at sunrise was speaking to someone else. I could still sense sis.

I got up, "I'm tired! I am sore! I want to sleep!" I hoped that sis would leave off shoving in the castle and awakening me from my last bit of resting bliss. I remembered, "We're on a ship, we're at sea, I told her not to tell, and now she with Tollor. Alright." I got up from my warm mat. I marched over to her cabin. Tollor was looking at sis when I opened the door and she had a sad disappointed look on her face.

"She not ready!" I blared like a cannon shot, I glared at her. I thought we had an understanding?"

Sis stared up at me and started to cry.

Without her speaking a word, "I know!" You can't cast the spell. I looked at her trying to keep myself from crying too. "We're all going to die from lack of sleep if we go on like this." I felt the urge to stay any further conversation and say get some sleep. My sadness grew as I pondered the consequences. I knew life may only go from bad to worse.

Her face showed disbelief that I would desert her chance now as she searched my face for a moment.

I felt my empty stomach and my heart sink past it, "Stupid!"

Her hands lit up like a couple of candles. I was about to speak, when Tollor cast the shield in front of me. The white hot fire balls bounced off of them. My mouth dropped, my eyes rolled up, and I felt myself falling to the floor.

Tollors voice murmured in the muffled chamber of my mind, "He's alright! He just fainted from exhaustion."

I felt so small, looking at my brother lying on the floor, white faced with the blackest rings under his eyes. They were better than the ones I'd given him when I'd hit him on the nose with a stick instead of the ball he'd thrown at me.

Tollor smiled at me and gently picked him up and placed him on the bed. He removed his shoes and covered him with a blanket.

"Come here." he said holding out his hand to me.

Slowly I walked across the cabin and sat on the edge of the bed next to him. I felt so stupid, so selfish. My brother was trying to protect me and I was trying to get answers it looked like I wasn't ready for.

"Tollor, why couldn't I do anything until he upset me?" I asked querulously. "What went wrong?"

"Nothing went wrong Midgit," he said, "you're young and your gift is only just manifesting. It will come when you least expect it and usually when someone upsets you. Like your brother just did. However, just because you couldn't do something when I asked you doesn't mean you CAN'T do something. In one respect your brother's right, you're over tired, you need sleep and on the morrow we will sit down and decide how to handle all this. There is a possibility that your magic will only truly expand with a channeller and if that is the case then your brother is just that."

He smiled at me and hugged me tight. "Don't fret little one, it will be fine. I swear it."

With that he picked me up and carried me round the other side of the bed. He took off my shoes and covered me with another quilt. He sat on the edge of the bed stroking my hair whispering words of comfort that I couldn't quite make out. As I began to fall into sleep I heard him say "And so it begins!"....

I find this story very interesting and I'm looking forward to more installments. However, there is some confusion in the sleeping arrangements.

naomis wrote: We left the room and he took me across the small hallway to the stateroom I shared with my brother.

Pagafyr wrote: I marched over to her cabin.

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/026.gif

As she tried to cast the spell the room stayed quiet. Nothing happened. Nothing except me getting the feeling I was needed. I needed sleep, and so did we all, but the excitement I knew was creeping up to my door at sunrise was speaking to someone else. I could still sense sis.

I got up, "I'm tired! I am sore! I want to sleep!" I hoped that sis would leave off shoving in the castle and awakening me from my last bit of resting bliss. I remembered, "We're on a ship, we're at sea, I told her not to tell, and now she with Tollor. Alright." I got up from my warm mat. I marched over to her cabin. Tollor was looking at sis when I opened the door and she had a sad disappointed look on her face.

"She not ready!" I blared like a cannon shot, I glared at her. I thought we had an understanding?"

Sis stared up at me and started to cry.

Without her speaking a word, "I know!" You can't cast the spell. I looked at her trying to keep myself from crying too. "We're all going to die from lack of sleep if we go on like this." I felt the urge to stay any further conversation and say get some sleep. My sadness grew as I pondered the consequences. I knew life may only go from bad to worse.

Her face showed disbelief that I would desert her chance now as she searched my face for a moment.

I felt my empty stomach and my heart sink past it, "Stupid!"

Her hands lit up like a couple of candles. I was about to speak, when Tollor cast the shield in front of me. The white hot fire balls bounced off of them. My mouth dropped, my eyes rolled up, and I felt myself falling to the floor.

Tollors voice murmured in the muffled chamber of my mind, "He's alright! He just fainted from exhaustion."

I felt so small, looking at my brother lying on the floor, white faced with the blackest rings under his eyes. They were better than the ones I'd given him when I'd hit him on the nose with a stick instead of the ball he'd thrown at me.

Tollor smiled at me and gently picked him up and placed him on the bed. He removed his shoes and covered him with a blanket.

"Come here." he said holding out his hand to me.

Slowly I walked across the cabin and sat on the edge of the bed next to him. I felt so stupid, so selfish. My brother was trying to protect me and I was trying to get answers it looked like I wasn't ready for.

"Tollor, why couldn't I do anything until he upset me?" I asked querulously. "What went wrong?"

"Nothing went wrong Midgit," he said, "you're young and your gift is only just manifesting. It will come when you least expect it and usually when someone upsets you. Like your brother just did. However, just because you couldn't do something when I asked you doesn't mean you CAN'T do something. In one respect your brother's right, you're over tired, you need sleep and on the morrow we will sit down and decide how to handle all this. There is a possibility that your magic will only truly expand with a channeller and if that is the case then your brother is just that."

He smiled at me and hugged me tight. "Don't fret little one, it will be fine. I swear it."

With that he picked me up and carried me round the other side of the bed. He took off my shoes and covered me with another quilt. He sat on the edge of the bed stroking my hair whispering words of comfort that I couldn't quite make out. As I began to fall into sleep I heard him say "And so it begins!"....

I heard my name being called out. I looked around to see who it was. The pond had rays of sun lights beams darting every which way. Even with all the shimmer light and the nearly cloudless sky I could not see anyone. I returned to looking for some wondrous sight to delight my adventurous mind.

I heard my name again. I could see a frog sitting on a lily pad. It was small with light green skin. The voice came from it. I stepped back and my foot found no support. Plunging backward night fall rushed in. I felt my back hit something first.

I opened my eyes and looked around the room. I saw sis sleeping. I marveled! "It was a dream. Why!"

As the dream sleep memory faded from my thought I realized another shocking event. I had awaken before my sister did.

I looked around the bed and saw my shoes. I leaned ever so slowly to so as not to disturb my sister. I carefully slipped my shoes on and stood. I turned toward the portal.

The sun beam was a cone of a light filled with fairy dust. I tip toed over to the portal to look out.

The sky was clear save for a few white puffs here and there. I pushed my head out to feel the sea breeze on my face. The moving air along side the wooden hull combed my hair back.

"Land Ho!" the call startled me so I pulled back fast.

Thump! Hitting head and falling backward I landed on my backside.

I heard Mom in the distance, "There's the secret palace. We're safe!"

The second I sat up my memory of the dream returned. I pulled the string out of my shirt and slipped to amulet out where I could see it. I checked the leather and colorfully threaded in gold and purple yarn pouch to see if it had come loose and touched my skin. Unsure still I opened the pouch to reassure my self it was still there.

Dads head came in through the door as I was tucking the amulet back into my shirt collar.

He paused a moment, "Come on then! I don't want you two to miss the sight about to occur as I know you will never believe it unless you've seen it. The secret palace I had built is nearly in view!"