The last poster wins

TheCalliton

one can't do all the taking it doesn't work that way

Oh, but it does. Politicians, for example, do it every day, they just take and take while not giving anything back, they don't even pay taxes. Me on the other hand, I'm forced to give all I can and expect very little in return. That's the hierarchy, I'm at the bottom so all above me can boss me around and give or deny me whatever they want. And you know what the funny thing is, I fight for freedom, I make sure they are free to make my life a living hell.

And about purpose, my only purpose is being a tool, a puppet with someone else pulling the strings. What I want doesn't matter, what I feel doesn't matter, what I desire doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is that I obey like a good doggy. Well I'm sick of it, I never wanted to be a slave of the system. One day my strings will be cut and then I'll have my revenge on those who made me suffer, I just need to wait.

Nothing comes "to you" you have to find it. Apathy comes from lack of self esteem and confidence, the thinking that someone else should do for you, not you for them. Its a two way street. Give and take, one can't do all the taking it doesn't work that way :D

I agree with that first part. It may be right under your nose too when you go hunting for it, so always pause and give the space around you a good eyeing.

I just gave a look to all my available left over computer cases and found one which the Antec CP-1000 PSU will fit right inside the top. So, Yup it takes a little sweat hunting and its sweet when I get what I need.

So look and you will find what you need. http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/smile.gif Now don't go and get all sappy about what you want. http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/pinch.gif There's a difference between what you want and what you need.

I very seldom get what I want without extra consequences attached. Getting what I need seems to round out my day and give me the least amount of aggravation. http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/biggrin.gif

Oh! I WIN ! and you find your own balloons. I have a white coat! One day I put it on when I was asked by an elderly couple for some help.

I was wearing it when the old geezer got close to me. He said, "Where did you get that coat?" His was frantic.

I looked at him with a calming look and said, "Out of my closest." http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/happy.gif

I am one of those people Dirk45, I have had those moments and still do. I'm agoraphobic and narcoleptic. I also suffer from clinical depression but, I have great joy in my life in the form of my children and my grand children. My husband is terminally ill, but I have found strength and determination.

Every day I rise and dress is a milestone, every time I leave the house and go to the corner shop is a milestone. I push myself and push my children. No one pushes me I have to find it within myself to keep going when, some days, it would be easier to say "stop the world I want to get off". I don't, and I don't expect anyone to do anything for me unless I ask them to.

No-one is completely lost, those that think they are are not looking forward, but behind. Nothing good ever comes of looking behind you, you tend not to see the excavation in the middle of the pavement if you do, and tend to break your neck in the process of falling into it. Look forward, make life happen, live, love and be happy for there will come a day when you wish you had.

:D

I am one of those people Dirk45, I have had those moments and still do. I'm agoraphobic and narcoleptic. I also suffer from clinical depression but, I have great joy in my life in the form of my children and my grand children. My husband is terminally ill, but I have found strength and determination.

Every day I rise and dress is a milestone, every time I leave the house and go to the corner shop is a milestone. I push myself and push my children. No one pushes me I have to find it within myself to keep going when, some days, it would be easier to say "stop the world I want to get off". I don't, and I don't expect anyone to do anything for me unless I ask them to.

No-one is completely lost, those that think they are are not looking forward, but behind. Nothing good ever comes of looking behind you, you tend not to see the excavation in the middle of the pavement if you do, and tend to break your neck in the process of falling into it. Look forward, make life happen, live, love and be happy for there will come a day when you wish you had.

:D

Not to argue further or defenestrate all you do, but adversity is pushing you. Things are happening to you, that have you push your children. What I'm talking about is the kind of existence where no forces push one way or the other. No pain, no feeling, no motivation for the creature to pull itself out of the hole. A sort of sick contentment without joy or sorrow - just anger. Anger and jealousy at nothing.

But you are right about only looking forward, you don't have to watch as the dog bites your ass.

P.S. Nobody ever wins a debate when both sides speak the truth.

Have you ever felt like your life has no meaning or purpose? I feel like that every day and it's maddening.

Then you need to find a purpose, decide what it is you want, and go for it. Only you can do that. Others can support and nurture, but the rest is up to you

Finding purpose is like looking at a goat and yelling "TALK OR I'LL KILL YOU!" He doesn't understand because he's a goat. You can't make purpose out of apathy. Meaning and purpose have to come to you.

This is very, very true.

If you don't derive enjoyment and satisfaction from anything, you can't make yourself enjoy things. You can make yourself DO things and pretend to enjoy them, which keeps other people happier, but it doesn't make you enjoy them. It's not like enjoying things just takes practice and then you get the hang of it.

For my part, I spent a decade or so trying to find a purpose (not that long in the grand scheme of things I know), and what made me happier in the end was realising that really, there isn't one, and properly embracing that fact. Not just knowing or feeling it, but accepting it.

Life being devoid of meaning and purpose can actually be quite liberating. What's really soul-destroying is living life feeling it's pointless and meaningless but wishing that weren't the case.

"Decide what it is you want" is a very complicated bit of advice. I'm very much happier and healthier now I've come to terms with the fact that actually, I don't really want anything. I'm quite happy now just rambling along doing nothing in particular, not applying myself and not caring about what talents I'm 'wasting' or 'what I could have achieved if I'd applied myself' etc etc etc. Whereas trying to decide what I want and find some purpose in life damn near killed me.

Anyway my real point is addressing the disconnect is what's important. Happiness lies in either truly believing there's a point and working to find it, or truly believing there isn't and living with that. The misery comes when you believe in one and seek the other.

lol, well aren't we a philosophical bunch today/tonight/tomorrow :D

at this rate we'll have discovered the solution for world peace and poverty :)

Not a bad thing if you ask me :biggrin:

Alas, I find that if you haven't fallen ass-backward into an existential or philosophical debate on any message board at least twice, well then poor lad/lass, you just aren't using the internet properly.

But this one appears to be quite civilised, without any real flaming or calling people idiots. This is not an internet debate of the normal kind. No one's even mentioned Hitler yet.