The last poster wins

TheCalliton

I find it quite fascinating (as thinking beings with free will) how little the concious, controlled and controllable part of our brains is actually in charge and this is very much exposed by what you're talking about.

The thinking part has almost no control in situations like these, that's why people who see that a car is going to run them over freeze up. They want to run but their body freezes up, it's a safety mechanism embedded in their head.

It's designed to protect you from predators (since most predators only see moving creatures and completely ignore stationary ones) but in most situations of the modern world it's worthless. The part of your brain responsible for that does not understand the difference between the type of danger and cannot adapt to the situation apropriately. It basically kills you instead of saving your life :down:

And you know what's the worse thing, that part of the brain activates way before the thinking part, freezing you or making you run before you even realize what's going on and in which direction you should be running :facepalm:

Also, I did condition my mind thanks to my great-grandfather, he taught me the Russian Sistema, it's a martial art but it also teaches you discipline of mind which is awesome. With it you can force your body to obey you instead of the darn self-preservation thingy or anything like that but it takes a whole lot of exhaustful training to be able to do that. But at least you can kill someone with a spoon after you're done with it :biggrin:

I find it quite fascinating (as thinking beings with free will) how little the concious, controlled and controllable part of our brains is actually in charge and this is very much exposed by what you're talking about.

The thinking part has almost no control in situations like these, that's why people who see that a car is going to run them over freeze up. They want to run but their body freezes up, it's a safety mechanism embedded in their head.

It's designed to protect you from predators (since most predators only see moving creatures and completely ignore stationary ones) but in most situations of the modern world it's worthless. The part of your brain responsible for that does not understand the difference between the type of danger and cannot adapt to the situation apropriately. It basically kills you instead of saving your life :down:

And you know what's the worse thing, that part of the brain activates way before the thinking part, freezing you or making you run before you even realize what's going on and in which direction you should be running :facepalm:

Also, I did condition my mind thanks to my great-grandfather, he taught me the Russian Sistema, it's a martial art but it also teaches you discipline of mind which is awesome. With it you can force your body to obey you instead of the darn self-preservation thingy or anything like that but it takes a whole lot of exhaustful training to be able to do that. But at least you can kill someone with a spoon after you're done with it :biggrin:

I'm trying to do the same kind of thing to program myself back to normal and NOT get a fight/flight/freeze response at stupid times like going to the shop or talking to people.

I rationally know there is no danger, no issue, no problem. Tell that to my body. :biggrin: