The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Speaking of books, I went bookshopping today, something I've always enjoyed doing. Coming off a lot of studying and some alegorical or otherwise ultrapolitical books that nearly qualify as tomes, I felt like something violent, hackneyed and chaotic so I reached for the scifi section. I think the thing that surprised me the most was that my local bookshop now has an entire WarHammer wall. In the past decade I've seen the franchise go from one omnibus, and one author, to atleast a hundred books, and maybe 30 authors, some of them truly world-class. It feels like watching a franchise grow up-for many nerds of my generation, teenhood and early adulthood's memories are etched deep with the footprints of Space Marines and littered with discarded BoltShell casings, now many of us are getting into our 20s and 30s, some of them have taken up the pen, but retained their love of the universe. Who knows where it'll be in another 20 years, it's certainly started to get popular again.

I did have one funny moment on the weekend. I was down at the local race track, having some fun. I think I inadvertantly may have upset someone, there's a culturally imprinted tribalism between Chevrolet and Ford fans in Australia, and one of the guys who arrived about when I did was driving a Holden Commodore SS(Chevrolet), the polar tribal opposite of my FPV Typhoon(Ford) Now, normally I find this tribalism idiotic at best since for decades it was essentialy an arguement about who's car was more outdated and underdesigned(Afterall Mercedes builds better cars than BOTH). But today, for some fun I decided to join in and take him on. The funny part was, he was enormously "confident"(cocky) since his car had a V8 from a Corvette and mine had a "puny" V6 from what is essentially a taxi. Now, I could have bought a V8 version of the Typhoon, known amusingly as The Boss, but I chose that '6 for a reason. It took him until the end of the main straight to realise why-see, less cylenders = less weight, less weight = more fastness. It was really funny-he was genuinelly a little shocked and miffed, I mean, numerically he never had a chance, but... yeah. Maybe you had to see his expression to get it. :facepalm:

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r535/Yurimarkov/1000px-Adeptus_Custodes_5-1-.jpg

Three things really stick out about the WarHammer universe: it's creative depth and detail, it's ability to engender fanatical loyalty in it's fans, and just how badly those fans don't want to live in it. No, seriously, it's one ****ed up place, the Imperium says "Serve The Emperor Today For Tommorow You May Be Dead" for good reason, the mathematical chances of the latter are rather high.

Edited by Vindekarr