The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Steve Balmer is in Croatia and I'm not in Zagreb to meet him :sad:

why life, why?!

t-t

I'd shake the man's hand and congratulate him, hell, I'd even buy him coffee. He's the best thing that ever happened to Linux (since MS failed with Win8) and Play Station (they really messed up on that one).

Since he took the lead, the number of Linux users and developers has gone up, Sony began contributing more to Linux kernel, Sony made a laughing stock out of Xbone, PS4 will likely dominate the market (that's good, easy porting to SteamOS and Linux in general), Windows HP was a massive failure, and MS turned Win8 into a swiss cheese of security. Bloody marvelous! :laugh:

Steve Balmer is in Croatia and I'm not in Zagreb to meet him :sad:

why life, why?!

t-t

I'd shake the man's hand and congratulate him, hell, I'd even buy him coffee. He's the best thing that ever happened to Linux (since MS failed with Win8) and Play Station (they really messed up on that one).

Since he took the lead, the number of Linux users and developers has gone up, Sony began contributing more to Linux kernel, Sony made a laughing stock out of Xbone, PS4 will likely dominate the market (that's good, easy porting to SteamOS and Linux in general), Windows HP was a massive failure, and MS turned Win8 into a swiss cheese of security. Bloody marvelous! :laugh:

I still can't use my mouse on Linux.

Balmer was CEO since 2000. he was there when they got out XP and 7, Vista and 8 are bumps on the road.

Steam OS and the rise of Linux lately has 0 to do with MS's failures, but more the fact that Linux is free and open source, so Valve can actually use it to create it's new console.

All in all, Microsoft did good and bad things, I think the good overweight the bad by far. They suck sometimes but nobody can be perfect. I hate them for some things and love them for others.

I really like the idea of linux, but I can't even try it out because my mouse isn't working with it. And most of the time it was crashing and didn't load GPU drivers properly and gave me AMD micro something errors. To be fair, Windows 8 was at least so nice to let me actually boot into it and use it and determine that it wasn't for me.

Ehh, I've seen better. And I thought the StarMade project had it's funding cut? If you want a proper space game, try X3: Albion Prelude. Now that is a space RPG. IMO it's one of the most underrated RPGs I've yet played, it's fully moddable and has a frankly incredible depth of consequence and content. The economy is brilliant enough: it's "pervasive" meaning instead of boring vendors, it's supply and demand, stocks of everything are limited, and you need to think about what you're doing. The degree to which you can build is equally amazing since you start with one ship, and can literally just claim an area of space and make it into your own personal empire, complete with fleets, stations and flags.

Like I said, heavily underrated. I guess that's what happens when console kiddies who can't even type properly, become gaming journalists. Heh, I was reading Destructoid recently and saw a very good game get rated 2/10. The reviewer spent five whole paragraphs raging about how he spent his entire time lost, claiming that not having a giant object arrow was "stupidest f***ing thing he'd ever seen"(the bloke clearly hadn't looked in the mirror lately) and that using an actual map and compass(because apparently these simple analogue devices are too complex for him) was a "retarded decision" The review's subsequently gone missing and my link 404s, but I do worry about the future of gaming. When those CoD kiddies grow up, just what horrors will they unleash? We're already starting to see that in newsprint.

I have X3 (all three of them I think) and I do enjoy it. I haven't played it much, and I actually don't think I've played it at all on MY Steam account (my brother has one or two of them). I also agree that it is underrated. It's a great space game, and there seem to be too few of those these days. I would like a Freespace 3. :D

I just recently heard of StarMade though I know it's been around for two or so years. It may have lost funding, but according to the recent news posts they are still developing. I really only enjoy it because I like building things, it's a neat idea (even though it feels like it's lacking a bit) and I can play it with my brothers.

Ugh. I hate reviews. Honestly, I don't understand what's going through those people's heads when they complain about some of the stupidest things. Everything has to be simplified, and made obvious for people. Otherwise, it isn't good. I laugh at how often people review something negatively and only talk about how they wasted their time.

One of the funniest complaints I heard was on IGN (someone needs to destroy that place), about Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 (2005 I think?) having bad graphics because of 2D flowers. lol

Beyond: Two Souls got quite a few bad reviews because reviewers went into expecting something else, and it's more of an interactive story than a "game." What makes a game then? Because Tetris is a game, and all you do is stack blocks. CoD is a game and all you do is shoot things. So why is something where you interact with people and an enviroment NOT a game?

:no: Oh, people. Honestly, reviews should be done by people who can find the fun in a game, but also be able to give reasons why people might not like it, not just bash the bad and forget any good in something, or praise something as "BEST GAEM EVOR!!!11!" and forget any flaws. And graphics shouldn't matter as much as they seem to.

Hi Pat

I should stop saying hi and actually PM you sometime.

:tongue: Hello

Guys, can anyone suggest a good real-time strategy game with game mechanics like Age Of Empires? So far I got AOE I, II and III (no expansions), Empire Earth III (I really like that one), Age of Mythology (also no expansions), 0AD, Warcraft III with The Frozen Throne, Starcraft with Brood War (god, I love that one) and Rise Of Nations with Thrones and Patriots. I also played Starcraft II Demo and I liked it, will be getting that one.

But I can't find any other good RTS games and I like to play those. Has to be single-player though and not multi-player, I only play multi-player over LAN with my wife, she's a sucker for RTS games too. I just hate the mentality of the guys out in the internet wilds which is why I can't stand online RTS.

lol Well I think you've named (mostly) every strategy game I've played.

I've played Stronghold Crusaders and Stronghold 2 (or maybe it was the first one. Or both), both of which I enjoyed.
I also have Anno 2070, which seems pretty cool. It didn't run well on my computer, and you have to have uPlay. Blegh.

I like Total War Rome, and Company of Heroes is also fun. But neither of those are really like Age of Empires, though CoH is probably closer to it than Total War. Still, they're RTS, and fun.

Guys, can anyone suggest a good real-time strategy game with game mechanics like Age Of Empires? So far I got AOE I, II and III (no expansions), Empire Earth III (I really like that one), Age of Mythology (also no expansions), 0AD, Warcraft III with The Frozen Throne, Starcraft with Brood War (god, I love that one) and Rise Of Nations with Thrones and Patriots. I also played Starcraft II Demo and I liked it, will be getting that one.

But I can't find any other good RTS games and I like to play those. Has to be single-player though and not multi-player, I only play multi-player over LAN with my wife, she's a sucker for RTS games too. I just hate the mentality of the guys out in the internet wilds which is why I can't stand online RTS.

Rise of nations by far beats age of empires, goes through all ages and has nukes.

lol Well I think you've named (mostly) every strategy game I've played.

I've played Stronghold Crusaders and Stronghold 2 (or maybe it was the first one. Or both), both of which I enjoyed.

I also have Anno 2070, which seems pretty cool. It didn't run well on my computer, and you have to have uPlay. Blegh.

I like Total War Rome, and Company of Heroes is also fun. But neither of those are really like Age of Empires, though CoH is probably closer to it than Total War. Still, they're RTS, and fun.

Hmm, Anno 2070 is out of the questions since I have no intention of having uPlay (and uPlay sounds like Apple's iCrap), looks really good though. The Stronghold 2 looks good too, even though it reminds me of Rome Total War which I can't say I like much, Rome TW has decent graphics, Rome TW 2 doesn't even have that. I think I'll be getting Stronghold 2 just to try it out.

Stronghold Crusaders reminds me of AOE 2, one of my favorite RTS games, so I'll be getting that one too. CoH, I played it on my friend's PC, I like some parts of it but dislike some others, a good game overall though, been thinking of getting it.

And I swear, finding games that fit me is a nightmare, especially RTS games since I'm very picky about those. While most of these RTS games released nowadays focus on graphics while I couldn't care less about graphics, I want them to be fun. Like Starcraft, I still play the good old Starcraft because it has me interested, the graphics are out of a Super Mario era but I don't care at all.

Why can't game developers understand that those playing RTS actually want to be challenged by AI, not have a mentally challenged AI. :facepalm:

Rise of nations by far beats age of empires, goes through all ages and has nukes.

That's true, and the AI isn't useless like it is in AOE, these guys have strategies of their own. :thumbsup: And of course, there are nuclear weapons and cruise missiles and planes, tanks, lots of fun stuff. Plus, for a 2D game it has pretty good graphics. I love that game, I always disable the Armageddon timer so me and AI can nuke each other until we run out of ICBMs.

And sometimes I control both nations so I can charge machinegun nests with guys in shorts equipped with spears, watching them running mindlessly into a wall of lead never gets old. :laugh: