The last poster wins

TheCalliton

I'm running a new EVGA built GTX760 SC at the moment Werne, and it's a brilliant card. Quiet, cool, reliable, and with excellent power. I don't know how well it compares to an R2 Radeon but I suspect it may actually be more powerful.

GTX 760 is ~50% slower than R9 280X (since R9 280X is actually a Radeon 7970 with increased memory bandwidth), but they're about on-par (maybe the 760 is even faster) under Linux due to crappy AMD drivers (Nvidia has flawless proprietary drivers for Linux, AMD not so much). I'm mostly looking to take advantage of it's GPU for parallel processing though, I'm not that interested in gaming performance.

As far as prices go around here, the cheapest GTX 760 costs 2000HRK which is ~$350, and it's a Gainward (I hate those, noisy and hot) with the only card with a cooler that's worth anything being a 4GB VRAM Gigabyte which costs ~$430. Must say, not really happy with the price. :sad:

Selling expensive things in Australia isn't easy, but I have to say, Nvidia is doing a much better job of it than AMD is right now. Back in mid December when I was buying my current card, I was shopping at Scorpion, my local parts supplier. Scorpion are a group who've earned my loyalty, their prices are normally good, they do home delivery for $10 and they stock pretty much every obscure computer part you can imagine, including a twenty metre headphone cable(why?!) and a USB flash drive shaped like a Donut.

Except they don't stock R2 280s. Or much anything AMD anymore for that matter. Most of their GPU stock is Nvidia green, and even their pre-built PCs are mostly Nvidia powered now, ending ten years of AMD support. The prices are another story-the GTX760 I bought cost me about 1600 HRK, while the cheapest AMD with 4 GB of VRAM was a Powercolor, for ~3000 HRK.

Edited by Vindekarr

@Vindekarr Ermm, why were you looking at 4GB VRAM?

And when it comes to Nvidia/AMD prices around here, let's put it this way:

- The most expensive AMD card (not counting the 7990) is ASUS AMD R9 290X at 5000HRK (~$890, cheapest R9 290X model being 4000HRK)

- The most expensive Nvidia card (not counting the Titan) is Gainward GeForce GTX 780 at 4400HRK (~$785, cheapest model being 4200HRK)

To be honest, I can understand why R9 290X is so expensive, it outperforms the 780, but some other 290X cards (like XFX) come down cheaper than Nvidia's equivalents. There are anomalies in the prices too - the GTX 780 Ti was priced higher that Titan when it came out, retailing at 9200HRK (~$1,640) before it was pulled off the Croatian market. It's coming back slowly with a significantly lower price, but most models are still over $1000 (priced on-par with Radeon 7990). For the reference, GTX Titan costs 8500HRK, which is ~$1,520.

That's the high-end market, but my price range is nowhere near 4000-8000HRK, my budget is 1800HRK max. For that I can get a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC (1700HRK, ~$300) on Nvidia side, or Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 270X Dual-X OC Boost (same price as the aforementioned 660). AMD's 270X outperforms the 660 by ~15-20% and overclocks better. One step down in the price range and we're looking at GTX 460 vs Radeon 7870 OC (1300HRK price point cause Nvidia has no cards in 1300-1700HRK range).

Basically, up until you come to the very top, AMD outperforms in any price range, Nvidia's equipment is just too expensive here in Croatia. And that sucks if you want to take advantage of a certain technology you can only get with the more expensive brand, like CUDA.

*sigh* Guess I'll keep chugging on my 7770 until the end of time, or at least until the prices get better.

Hmm i think Steam os is pointless, just installed Steam On Linux Cinnamon, its a far better distro then that mess steam os. Its based on mint.

it has that windows 7 feel to it :yes:

Though had to do some major research on how to use the console, dang good thing i type fast, or all that would have taken for ages. Steam and XBMC, all the good things about a HTPC and then some :D

Edited by Thor.