Text to voice for game dialogue?

Guest Messenjah

Guest Messenjah
Does anyone know of any good text to voice programs that could be used to create dialogue? I was thinking that some of the programs out there for sound mixing could be used to make some ok or decent dialogue for those of us that can't afford to hire voice actors. :) Any thoughts or info?

Does anyone know of any good text to voice programs that could be used to create dialogue? I was thinking that some of the programs out there for sound mixing could be used to make some ok or decent dialogue for those of us that can't afford to hire voice actors. :) Any thoughts or info?

Check out here: http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

It has a good online demo. Note that the free samples have constrained usage: "Any use that involves wide distribution or long lifetime is probably not OK, whether or not it is commercial. Audio clips used in songs, videos or game levels cannot be made publicly available on the internet."

You can buy a licence though. It is one of the most convincing speech synths around (but it still sounds robotic).

Speech synth'd voice is something I've tried, and it doesn't even make a believable robot. The best you can do is make a Stephen Hawking character and use it to voice that.

Yes. Although the ATT one would probably make a good robot, for a human even the most rankly amateur voice actor (e.g. your sister or the fella from next door) would be more convincing :)

I'm having FL Studio in my mind. It's basicly a music creation program, but can also be used for recording and mixing voices.

Speech synth'd voice is something I've tried, and it doesn't even make a believable robot. The best you can do is make a Stephen Hawking character and use it to voice that.

Yes. Although the ATT one would probably make a good robot, for a human even the most rankly amateur voice actor (e.g. your sister or the fella from next door) would be more convincing :)

Someone's never watched dubbed anime. There are some pretty horrible "professional" voice actors who wouldn't make a convincing rock. :down:

(thusly why original japanese is the only way to watch anime ;))

Oh, really? That's a bit odd. Logically and psychologically speaking, that makes no sense. Even when the dubbed voice acting in an anime is terrible, I'll still watch it. I've watched subbed animes quite often, usually out of necessity, and to me, the Japanese language cannot properly convey emotion to me, a native English speaker. I guess it has to do with the fact that I absolutely cannot understand any other languages (I've taken several courses to learn a second language, from French to German to Japanese, but failed them all). English, to me, just works better. I'd choose mastery and understanding of one language over being a polyglot any day. And to this day, the only anime I watched subbed (cos I had to, obvoiusly) and enjoyed was the second season of Higurashi. And by then, I couldn't care less about the voice acting, I was more interested in the plot.

Well, actually, I liked the second season of Gunslinger Girl as well, and that was Japanese only (not in a few days!!). As soon as the english dub DVD comes out I'm buying it. Luckily, I happen to be taking a trip to Edmonton the week it comes out.

And to the topic, and to increase the verbosity of this post, I had a similar thought. I never liked the fact that in an RPG, NPCs would never say my name. I'm hoping that in the near future, voice replicating technolgy will be advanced enough to mimic human speech without the obvious robotic tones that we hear in today's tech.

Picked up a program awhile back for having fun over vent and other voice comms. Not sure if you can record it (logically I'd say you can - I just never tested it). Haven't reinstalled it because of the lack of need lately, but it is something you may/may not find interesting. It boasts alot of variables - I just never did much with it short of manually making myself sound like a gnome or a 300lbs inmate - LOL.

Again, may or may not cover your needs/wants - but worth a shot :)

Software is called AV VCS Diamond.

Oh, really? That's a bit odd. Logically and psychologically speaking, that makes no sense. Even when the dubbed voice acting in an anime is terrible, I'll still watch it. I've watched subbed animes quite often, usually out of necessity, and to me, the Japanese language cannot properly convey emotion to me, a native English speaker.

Funny, that's the reason I watch subbed. The english actors just don't give the same emotional performance, they just sound cheesey. The only anime I've come across with an english performance on par with the japanese was Outlaw Star, which is arguably even funnier in english.

As for Higurashi... how exactly does (the insanely cute) Rika-chan's "Mi-paaa~" come out in english? :blink: