Qualities?

CloudLevi

My brother came up from NC a couple weeks ago to celebrate our mom's birthday (as well as my belated 18th) and brought his 360. He had Fallout 3, and the first night, he pulled it out after a while and played it before bed.

So my question is this. What makes it so great compared to The Elder Scrolls? I watched my brother slaughter a caravan of soldiers whose armor he wanted, kill a few assassins/bounty hunters/etc. and whatever rogues/renegades he ran into, go heal in this one town, then go check out the Republic of Dave only to reveal sometimes quite shoddy lipsyncing I'd say is quite below the HD glory of a 7Gen system, and then slaughter them like brahmin (sp?) after discovering there was no conspiracy where this one girl sounded like she had something incriminating to say about Dave and there was absolutely nothing worthwhile to do there period short of a pointless election that just robs you of a number of bottlecaps (or a hunting rifle at the player's choice) before giving you a handful of bottlecaps to make nice.

I'm not bashing it, I'm just saying...I haven't seen that much good gameplay from it. From what I've seen, I'd rather stick with Morrowind and Oblivion.

Where I think it beats Oblivion hands down is the quality of the quests, the Republic of Dave one isn't a great example. Some of the quests even present the player with choices and consequences, something Oblivion never did. The NPCs are far better too, although they still suffer from Bethesdas appalling dialogue at least some have something to say worth listening to. For me it doesn't come close to Morrowind but it's far superior to Oblivion.

I have a great metaphor for this. You see, there's Warhammer Fantasy Battle Game, and there's Warhammer 40K. They're incredibly similar, but I prefer WH40K. Why? I simply prefer the science fiction genre. In my books, guns are preferable to swords, to use a simple example. Play Fallout 3 if you want guns, and Oblivion if you want swords. Or axes. Or whatever. Another reason is the fact that Oblivion has been around longer, and has more modders, and therefore more mods. In a few years, this will change, and Fallout 3 will be at the same level that Oblivion is at now.

I have introduced 3 people to Fallout 3 and it really does take a good hour with the game to appreciate how awesome it is. It's like 30 bucks and you can return it if you don't like it, what have you got to loose?

See the console version to me is restrictive because the console graphics aren't maxed out, there are no mods that can be put into the console version so you will see less out of it. The Republic of dave has plenty of purposes for other quests you go on but i won't spoil that for you or any other.. Well here's a hint *Cough*(Tee)fifhtyoune*Cough*... Also you will encounter many things they are just out there waiting for you, and killing caravans aren't a good way to get the armor they want, the best way to get it is to earn it (Unless your a nasty raider type).

Oblivion doesn't have the VATS system which makes the game much more fun for critical strikes, etc and sniping. The perks allow you to become a special type of character to your own creative ideas because one thing about fallout 3 is it's huge replay value. You can go different ways every time and not feel like you have played the whole game. Once you explore and get higher level you will see more interesting things. The lockpicking system in fallout 3 is better cause it is more skill dependant rather than control button mash dependant.

So, in short i think you need to give it more time before you give up on it, there are many things to do and learn in the game and when you go through it one way there is always another way to play it. Also: the DLC you can get through Xbox live marketplace (I got mine Retail for the PC) and you get new things to do and more land to explore with new dialogue, npcs, armor it's like oblivion's DLC but Bethesda pumped out a lot more work into Fallout 3's DLC in my opinion. Especially the Pitt.

On my left hand, is an apple. And on my right hand, is a pear.

Both are of the same genus, and yet so different.

On my left hand, is Oblivion. And on my right hand, is Fallout 3.

This one has fire spells, and the other has nukes.

One of them have daedra fights, and the other has bloody mess.

The one on the left has fierce melee combat, and the other one has deadly VATS.

Need you continue?

The whole atmosphere is something I had been waiting for forever. The music, the backgound sounds, heck just the simple new quest sound! Pure atmosphere! And the world has much more to offer than oblivion, where I usually just wander around to find ...nothing that wouldnt be marked on my map, Fallout has so many secondary locations worth exploring not marked anywhere. And although everything looks kind of the same, after 3 chars I am still not tired of the wastes.

I always think back of that one TES4 quest with the sirens, it started out so good but felt so halfdone, FO3 does that a whole lot better (most of the times)

TES4 still feels like morrowind stripped down for the general public. Although the main quest line of FO3 seems to address rather casual players aswell, it seems the game in general is a step back to old traditions and qualities (that would be real rpgs that youre not supposed to play if youve just finished orcarina of time!)