Scariest Place in Oblivion

CrazyChao

Admit it, there's at least one dungeon or even exterior cell that you've been in that just creeped you out so much that you just wanted to run and never come back. Be a man (or woman) and tell us about it. What was the place called? Where is it located?

Vanilla: There's a certain swamp east of Leyawiin located near a fort (Doublecross) and an Ayleid Ruin (Veyond) that is rather creepy at night, yet stunningly beautiful in the morning. Head due east from Blankenmarch and you'll find it damn quick.

Modded: (Northrend Worldspace by NexusNess) The freaking interior of the spire in the middle is scary as dump, especially the Whispering Corridor and the Necropolis. Also, Crystalsong Forest is unnecessarily creepy at night.

Share your scary places!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vanilla Cyrodiil: Really? none. the game makers weren't very good at making scary places. intense places, sometimes, but not really scary. If I had to choose one, I'd go with the test of patience in Henantier's dreamworld, just because I was constantly going "I hope I'm right, it'll kill me if I'm not."

Shivering Isles: The first time I found an obelisk of order in the bottom of a ruin here (In xedeffen, I think) I mistook it form something akin to a frost atronach, and booked it out of there. when I realized there was no combat music playing, I caught the fact that it was inanimate, and thus, stopped being scary

Modded: oh, quite definitely most of the gates to Aesgaard Places. I don't know what the modder was smoking when he came up with some of those areas, but it scared the pants off me

In vanilla: none.

Modded: Gates to Aesgaard. So well made. Scared the crap out of me several times. There's also a Haunted House mod wich is also kinda scary, but that's nothing compared to GTA.

Note to self: Download Gates to Aesgaard episode two.

Vanilla: None, save for if I fail to notice an enemy after surveying a room (had a Dremora scare the crap outta me the other night).

Mods: The cursed version of Shadowcrest Vineyard. Not truly dangerous, but you don't know that the first time. The ambient sound is intense.

Haven't tried Gates to Aesgaard yet, but after reading the above, I may give it a shot.

Vanilla, never really fear, only occasional annoyance when an invisible vampire sneaks up on you or something. No Mr. Vampire, don't touch me! I don't want your vampire rabies. :(

Mods, easily Gates to Aesgaard Episode Two, although Episode One was pretty scary in itself. I consider these mods to be a prime example of what can be done with the game given enough talent, time, and resources.

Running into a balrog unexpectedly in any mod will make you need to change your undies too.

When I first went through the Oblivion gate-I really didn't like the dead bodies hanging from the ceiling and nailed to the walls. Kinda freaky to me. But I got use to it.

Other than that, nothing.

I can't think of any scary mods right now-although I'm sure there's been at least one that was scary to me.

Hanging corpses, especially seeing loads of tortured dead and whatnot in Oblivion, got surprisingly grim for Oblivion after a while on the first time I had played it. One of the things in Vanilla that actually freaked me out was the basement of the Anvil Lighthouse during the Dark Brotherhood quest, with the addition of reading that demented guy's notes, of course. The mother's head and the whole story around it was just eewwughh. The Dark Brotherhood had probably the most well-developed story of all the vanilla quests. I never don't want to replay that quest again. Land Dreughs kind of creeped me out the first time I saw them, but they aren't too hard to get used to. Zombies just creep me out. They just do. I think that all thanks for the creepiness of mods should be given to vanilla, of course, because though it rarely ever was, they made a game with the potential to be really scary and gruesome. For the most part mods just built off of that and expanded the possibilities.

Mods: GTAesgaard of course, but I haven't reached the 2nd one yet. (I don't know what to do after killing that first boss). OOO, makes all Aylied Ruins and some forts WAY creepier. With all the addition of new bandits mauraders and weird ghosts, I'm never sure what I will find, and I'm often running for my life.