Spear and Javelin Mod [WIP]

Soolie

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple question: new action values or you changed the animation for an existing weapon class? Depending on your answer it will be cheering or meh....

He already said he didn't change an animation for an existing weapon class.

So I'm thinking of adding 2 handed weapons to the mod. Would you guys prefer to have weapons such as halberds and pikes or quarterstaves. I would prefer staves myself since they would add a bit more variety to combat. I'm thinking of something like this

but perhaps a bit more european so that it doesn't look too out of place :P

So I'm thinking of adding 2 handed weapons to the mod. Would you guys prefer to have weapons such as halberds and pikes or quarterstaves. I would prefer staves myself since they would add a bit more variety to combat. I'm thinking of something like this

but perhaps a bit more european so that it doesn't look too out of place :tongue:

Sure. Keep in mind that quarter staves are used like spears and two-handed swords.

but perhaps a bit more european so that it doesn't look too out of place :tongue:

Personally I'd prefer something along the lines of a halberd, glaive or bill. I think it would fit the "medieval Europe" art style we've seen in previous games. Strangely Skyrim feels a lot less medieval and more WoW than the other games, at least as far as art style goes. Knightly lances could also be very cool since they added mounted combat with Dawnguard. I'm sure that would also be a big hit with folks who are Mount & Blade fans. Even if you don't actually model a lance, even making the spears usable on horseback would be awesome

Playing as a knight just seems kinda hollow without mounted charges http://static-4.nexusmods.com/15/images/110/2965821-1394766411.png

Edited by skyvalr

Fighting with a spear is similar to how, I was taught in my dojo's weapon course. Keep the blade pointed at your target at all times, your primary attack is a thrust, and you will use some minor swings as attacks. Also this probably wont carry over to the animations but a good thrust also involves a twist of the weapon to make sure it strikes straight.

I sent you a pm, but considering what I'm sure is a charlie foxtrot of an inbox I'll post the bulk of it here, in hopes that you see it.

Spears has been a topic of discussion on a number of occasions, over at the skywind forums, and I contacted fore on the topic shortly after joining the team on the topic of independent creatures/custom skeleton.hkx. We have a couple people over there who might be able to spring board off of what you made an improve upon it, though we're currently bust with other things. What I'm getting at here is that we would love to have you drop by and talk about how you did this.

As far as your project as a whole I wouldn't bother balancing the weapons, playing with the ai and and all that. Instead I would develop the animation system as best you could and release a single esm with the setup and have people build off of that.

Talking shop from what I saw and you wrote you only managed to replace the power attack animations, in the video it also looked like you replaced the blocking animations to all of which are big steps. So basically you did something fore, maker of fores new idle system, was talking about adding into his system when he got the chance to develop it. Well he wasn't talking about anything that pertained to combat but he mentioned it might have it's uses. If you hit him up he could probably help you refine the system and you his to the point where they are completely independent. If you found someone who knows their way around fnis he could probably help you set it up to where it has it's own idle such that you don't need to worry about people having a custom one handed idle, as many people do.

Either way looking forward to how you have it set up, and how this helps other people in the long run. Honestly I would prefer that complete alternate animation support comes out of this and we can make proper 2 handed spears.

Oh how did you get the 1 handed weapon on the back and use the 2 handed draw animation, this is probably easy compared to what you did but I would still like to know. I need a proper samurai katana.

Encouraging work and discussion! The previous comment leads to my next question. Would your method for adding new weapon animations work for as many different types of weapon variations as people felt like adding? For example if some one made the animations could they add fails or new seperat sword animations or whatever or is there a limit? And I'd vote towards more simple spear and halberd animations, but anything would be progress!

Edited by heyiforgot

I've decided it might be best to just have some generic thrusting animations animations for the 2h spears. Then maybe I could make 2 of the power attacks use a swing animation. This would allow me to have 2h spears, polearms and staves.