Nafaalilargus~ Skyrim DLC-like mod project

DJD2010

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the support everyone! :)

I just wanted to let y'all know that I'm still working on this.

I finished the first interior in the worldspace and I've finished the landscape apart from N'gasta's Isle.

But I'm almost done with the first main quest so expect a new video in a few days! :D

• 9 months later...

So umm.. I haven't touched this in a LONG time.. but uhh, I've done little to no progress since the last post.

I don't know.. Seems to me like this mod isn't getting enough support, and it doesn't even require all that much of it anyway..

So maybe I should just... Stop? Or just release this as a landscape mod no more? I'm not sure...

As someone who's had to abandon a lot of passion projects for many reasons, I'm telling you that you might not want to continue with this. It looks to me like you bit more than you can could chew, even if you tried to aim for something reasonable. Forgive me if I'm a bit presumptuous, but this is what I garnered from your updates:
  • Exterior area is almost done, but you'll still need to do a polish pass to make sure that everything looks decent, which basically means you'll be spending about 25-50% of the time you spent on exteriors to make it look great. That's a lot of days of work.
  • Interiors are still unfinished, which means that's another load of work that still needs doing. Include the whole bit about polish and it's gonna take even longer.
  • Quests still need to be implemented. Have the quests been written yet? Do you know how implementation works? It's a lot of knowledge you'll have to absorb in order to pull it off properly, which again might take some time. Making kill quests are easy, but anything that involves dialogue, scenes, or packages can easily increase the amount of time it takes to do a simple quest. I don't want to come off as belittling, but it can bite you in the ass rather quickly.
  • Custom meshes and new creatures are a pretty big thing to ask. Artists generally don't throw themselves at projects that haven't gotten to a far stage yet, unless they're crazy-obsessed with the idea or know you as a friend.

These points already will take you a long time to do, and if you're not able to give it you all, then the disappointment will only increase with time. You'll either want to find about 3-4 people that'll be as invested as you are in this project to help you out, or decide that this might not be the best way to spend your energy. Don't be disheartened about having invested time in this and having to abandon it. Everyone's had that one big overscoped project that didn't work out for them. I'm pretty sure you had fun doing it, but will have even more fun on something smaller. Maybe make a smaller island next time with a single, really awesome quest?

Edited by Arcky

As someone who's had to abandon a lot of passion projects for many reasons, I'm telling you that you might not want to continue with this. It looks to me like you bit more than you can could chew, even if you tried to aim for something reasonable. Forgive me if I'm a bit presumptuous, but this is what I garnered from your updates:
  • Exterior area is almost done, but you'll still need to do a polish pass to make sure that everything looks decent, which basically means you'll be spending about 25-50% of the time you spent on exteriors to make it look great. That's a lot of days of work.
  • Interiors are still unfinished, which means that's another load of work that still needs doing. Include the whole bit about polish and it's gonna take even longer.
  • Quests still need to be implemented. Have the quests been written yet? Do you know how implementation works? It's a lot of knowledge you'll have to absorb in order to pull it off properly, which again might take some time. Making kill quests are easy, but anything that involves dialogue, scenes, or packages can easily increase the amount of time it takes to do a simple quest. I don't want to come off as belittling, but it can bite you in the ass rather quickly.
  • Custom meshes and new creatures are a pretty big thing to ask. Artists generally don't throw themselves at projects that haven't gotten to a far stage yet, unless they're crazy-obsessed with the idea or know you as a friend.

These points already will take you a long time to do, and if you're not able to give it you all, then the disappointment will only increase with time. You'll either want to find about 3-4 people that'll be as invested as you are in this project to help you out, or decide that this might not be the best way to spend your energy. Don't be disheartened about having invested time in this and having to abandon it. Everyone's had that one big overscoped project that didn't work out for them. I'm pretty sure you had fun doing it, but will have even more fun on something smaller. Maybe make a smaller island next time with a single, really awesome quest?

I'm fine with working on polishing exterior and making interiors, I would spend time on this, however, realizing no one is interested enough to even help out with some quest stuff -which I've never been good at, especially scripts- just removes all motivation to even work on anything... I did in fact, REALLY enjoy working on the exterior, a lot. But as I said, no motivation...

But yeah, I don't know... I still am very indecisive about what I should do with this.. :/

I would love to see this finished since your project seemed to be very promising. But unfortunately I am no modder and I cannot help you at all in finishing it.

Yeah, no I understand. But I was thinking of completing the Exterior and Interior since those are within my experience and just release this as a landscape mod, or some sort of Alpha build or whatever, that way it could draw some attention to it. I hope...

I say just do whatever you want. Personally I have to work on multiple projects or parts of a project at the same time as I lose interest rather quickly. So you might want to try working on another project along with this one to keep the appropriate amount of distraction. It will take long to finish but at least you'll finish it.

• 4 months later...

So.. Reviving this thread just for this..

I recorded a video sometime ago. This is the last progress that I've made on the mod. Sorry the video is unedited, my editing software expired. And also sorry about the lack of audio..

So as I said, I may just release this as it is. I'll have to think furthermore about that though...

Landscape is 90% done

Interiors are 1% done

Yup.